ntrprnr

XM/Sirius to Merge

just how can that get past anti-trust regulations?

oh wait i forgot that public officials are for sale.... silly jerm

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

just how can that get past anti-trust regulations?

oh wait i forgot that public officials are for sale.... silly jerm

they're the only ones in the space. they're not forcing the market - there is no other market currently.

Do you think the price will go up? I dont mind paying the $14 or whatever a month for XM, but I really dont want to pay more for both...[:/]

nah. will probably wind up going down, to tell the truth

so.. the only 2 players in the market merge to leave only 1 player in the market... leaving the remaining entity with complete domination of said market and 0 choice for the consumer.... how is that not anit-trust?

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

So are Cocheese & LadyFlyer!
And Bolas and Bubbles
And Turtle and Swedecelt
------------
and Stitch & Stitches left hand!
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

they're the only ones in the space. they're not forcing the market - there is no other market currently.

I remember something about EchoStar (Dish Network)and Directv trying to Merge a few years ago and I think Anti-trust is what stopped them. How is this going to be different??

so.. the only 2 players in the market merge to leave only 1 player in the market... leaving the remaining entity with complete domination of said market and 0 choice for the consumer.... how is that not anit-trust?

Different kettle of fish. Consumer never had any options at all in satellite radio - option was $14.95 or $14.95, or regular radio. Consumer isn't gonna get hurt here. The majority of the money XM/Sirius spent they did for advertising/beating back the other player/hiring howard stern. They won't have to do that as much this time.

Different kettle of fish. Consumer never had any options at all in satellite radio - option was $14.95 or $14.95, or regular radio. Consumer isn't gonna get hurt here.

Same argement that was made for the Sattellite TV merger a few years ago.. In fact in their case they claim the real competition was Cable not even each other. didnt work then.

Quoted straight from the article linked..,
"The merger would require regulatory approval as well as anti-trust scrutiny.

Kevin Martin, chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, reportedly said last month that a merger could not be approved under current FCC regulations."

Sounds like this one has a ways to go before it really happens.

Different kettle of fish. Consumer never had any options at all in satellite radio - option was $14.95 or $14.95, or regular radio. Consumer isn't gonna get hurt here. The majority of the money XM/Sirius spent they did for advertising/beating back the other player/hiring howard stern. They won't have to do that as much this time.
--------------Not really, for how many years, as the sole long distance provider did AT&T, (decades ago) rape us, charging $0.65 & upwards a minute, for the service, only now with all the competition, provide the same for; @$0.05 or less p/min with the unlimited LD packages, & Still making profits. Can you image what kind of profit they were making on us @ $0.65 & up p/min factoring in the economy of the time 20-30 yrs ago?>:(

how does 2 companies offerting competing products equate to no options? same price? sure. same product? .. that i can't answer, but how is it better for the consumer to not even have the guise of competition by there being mroe than 1 player in a market? right now there are double as many options as what they're proposing.

please explain.

does anyone else notice these stupid commercials sneaking in on what is SUPPOSED to be commercial free stations!
Yea, but then I'm not sure if you are old enough to recall, that, that was the same, Bullshit line they used 30yrs ago to 'reason' why we would pay large monthly fees for cable TV, to offset the lack of advertisement income netted, due to the supposed claim that the 'greater majority' of the stations, would be Commercial free!>:( Fuckers!

that's just the point, tho... if your provider starts inserting commercials, you can switch. regardless of price, what happens when there is nobody to switch to? if you're relying on the benevolence of your corporate masters to convince them that since they have all the business they don't need to squeeze you any more with addition ad revenue, think again.

remember, in the publicly traded world, it's not about how much money you make, it about how much MORE you make. profit $1billion 3 years in a row and your stock will go down because you didn't grow, nevermind you have $3billion extra in your pockets.

so sure, they may not raise the price, but they have to keep raising profits somehow. Money says that if they merge they find some way of justifying more commercials for the same price, or offer an upgraded "premium" commercial-free service for $5 more/month

I think this is only the beginning. I think we'll wind up seeing this consolidation move to other things - i.e., got XMS (which would be a cool name for the two) Well then, you also qualify for Verizon phone service and Time Warner Cable...

Not saying it's good or bad - just thinking what it'll be.