piisfish

Crystal Ball ?

No It was intended (apperently never used) as a secondary reserve handle, since on a tandem you couldn't use the reservehandle with your right hand. (passenger was in the way). Making the reserve handle a loop made the ball redundant.

Also the ball frequently interfered with the 3 ring system, making it possible for the system to lock up. (don't know if this ever happend during a live cutaway).

Also for the trivia: The yellow tab didn't replace the crystall ball, it was always there.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I read it, that's why I used "apperently" instead of just never.

Did you contact Bill Booth already on those cases? And were they on Vector II ?

In case, they're still redundant now... :)
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Sup? Actually if you looked at the Vector II system you will notice the crystal ball is a direct link to your reserve pin, and the reserve loop is a secondary attachment to the reserve pin.

You will probably have to inspect the system for clarity of my statments, but for a T-I exiting the aircraft and going strait to reserve handle will activate the reserve, however it will confuse the T-I because he will most likely not be able to complete extract the reserve cable. The way it was made would prervent extraction of the entire cable because it would jamb shortly after clearing the reserve loop. The reserve pin (connected to the crystal ball) would jamb against the cable housing.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

A -I exiting the aircraft and going strait to reserve handle will activate the reserve, however it will confuse the T-I because he will most likely not be able to complete extract the reserve cable. The way it was made would prervent extraction of the entire cable because it would jamb shortly after clearing the reserve loop. The reserve pin (connected to the crystal ball) would jamb against the cable housing.

From Bill Booth:

"I designed this RSL 25 years ago in response to problems associated with the conventional ripcord-cable-through-ring method. It is still the only RSL system that does not damage the reserve ripcord cable each time it is used. However, it was not an attempt to build in a "ripcord stop". The Velcro joint on the reserve top flap and static line lanyard, should allow the static line pin to rotate, and the reserve ripcord eye to slip off, before the pin is anywhere near the housing."

should allow the static line pin to rotate, and the reserve ripcord eye to slip off,<<<

Skydiverek, In a perfect world? the key wording in Bill's statment is "should allow".

I happen to know for fact it has happened. It has caused the T-I to take a second look at what he pulled, relax a bit during reserve inflation, then we told a rigger about the inability to completely extract the reserve cable. We looked at the rig, still opened, and found the reserve pin all the way up to the cable housing preventing the complete extraction.

Once we pushed it back and forth a bit it slipped off.

So it can happen, and has happened. Ofcourse this is little potatoes, because the reserve pin will clear the loop regardless of weather the Crystal ball or the reserve handle is pulled.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

The crystal Ball goes only on the Tandem Vector 2 and the sigmas equipped without a Skyhook.
If the sigma has a skyhook the crystal ball is highly recommended to remove it.
Cielos Azules
Pablito

"If you don't overcome your fears they will overcome you first"
Shady Monkey/6Segundos Rodriguez/AKA Pablito