skydivermom

Please Welcome my little nephew!

Since I thought I would never be an aunt, I just had to share with all of you!

He was born Monday, April 16 and was well over 8 lbs. YIKES!!! His name is Kyan Takahiro. Kyan is African and means "little king". The funny thing is my sister is the caucasian parent and her name is "Yemia", her husband is Japanese and his name is "Mark".

I guess she was destined to be the mom of an oriental baby.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

(pssssst....people are asian, objects are oriental.)

(psssst.....somebody better tell her husband and his family)

My asian friends take issue with it. I was asking my friend something about being Oriental, and she said, "Damn it Jaye, I'm Thai, not a vase!" :$:P Oopsie. :ph34r:

-but I hear ya...my daddy isn't PC in his Sioux family either. Whatever is good for you and your family is the way it should be. B|

Congrats Auntie...what a beautiful little dude!! :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I was asking my friend something about being Oriental, and she said, "Damn it Jaye, I'm Thai, not a vase!" Oopsie.

Now *THAT* is funny!!!

Mrs. WaltAppel

(pssssst....people are asian, objects are oriental.)

(psssst.....somebody better tell her husband and his family)

My asian friends take issue with it. I was asking my friend something about being Oriental, and she said, "Damn it Jaye, I'm Thai, not a vase!" :$:P Oopsie. :ph34r:

"Oriental" is a subset of "Asian" because the Orient is a geographical region (the term generally describes Southeast Asia) which is a part of the larger whole that is Asia (generally accepted as a much larger geographic region including most of Russia, India, and the Middle East). Thus, "Oriental" describes a person from the southeastern part of Asia, whereas "Asian" describes those people as well as Indians, many Russians, Palestinians, Israelis, Persians, and a bunch of other folks.

Interestingly, many Americans make the mistake of describing all pacific islanders as "Asian," when in fact many are neither Asian nor Oriental.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

That is very interesting. I always get confused about what to say, so I just follow the protocol set by the family. I've heard them call themselves both Oriental and Asian. Of course, he was actually born in Oklahoma. His parents came over from Japan.
Mrs. WaltAppel