RkyMtnHigh

Who has rights to video?

Okay....do you think Shana Richardson getting interviewed on something like Good Morning America is news a year after the event...of does she get paid?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope, the news (between the millions made on commercials) shows people without their consent all of the time.

By the way...my understanding is that she did get paid for that interview.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I wonder if that's the case. I work at the UofA here in Canadia (in the student residence) and a few years back, our department was developing a new brochure for the student residence. We took a ton of "candid" shots on the grounds around the rez, in the dining hall, in the hallway, etc. We had to have every person in those photos sign a waiver (including any staff that were in the photos) to allow us to use those photos in the brochure. If any person in those photos refused, we couldn't use them.

My guess is that it depends on State (or in my case, Provincial) law.

I've just started training for my Cat A so can't comment on this in relation to skydive videos, but I work professionally as a cameraman in the UK. The example given above with getting waivers is because the shots were taken on what is essentially private space, hence direct permission needed. Legally though it's a tricky area. I'm not sure how this applies in the USA but in the UK I can happily film on the streets (as long as not causing an obstruction) getting general shots (GVs) and use these appropriately.

However, if I then went on to get vox pops from people in the street each of these would need individual waivers.

The other key thing is how the footage used - which comes into the area of libel and or contribution - ie if I had filmed people coming out of a bank and implied in voiceover that something illegal had been going on, then I'm on dodgy ground if the people coming out can be identified. If however, it's just used to illustrate how busy a bank is, that's pretty safe.

I would guess the same kind of principles would apply to skydive videos - ie if the video was particularly focusing on one persons key contribution then you might have a case.

At the end of the day, you can get tied up in legal speak - the best thing I've found on filming jobs in the UK and overseas is to talk to people! If people know what and why you are filming then it's far less likely to get into problems later. Courtesy is no bad thing.

If you're being filmed and unhappy about it - chat to the cameraperson at the time.

If you're a cameraperson - go and chat to those you've filmed. It's not rocket science really!

...If you're being filmed and unhappy about it - chat to the cameraperson at the time.

If you're a cameraperson - go and chat to those you've filmed. It's not rocket science really!

Good advice.

And welcome to the sky! Have fun on your AFF!! B|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I found this info

from http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2005-12-29-camera-laws_x.htm

if you're on public property you can photograph anything you like, including private property. There are some limits — using a zoom lens to shoot someone who has a reasonable expectation of privacy isn't covered — but no one can come charging out of a business and tell you not to take photos of the building, period.

You can take photos any place that's open to the public, whether or not it's private property. A mall, for example, is open to the public. So are most office buildings (at least the lobbies). You don't need permission; if you have permission to enter, you have permission to shoot.

Finally, you can't use someone's likeness for a purely commercial purpose — using a photo of someone in an ad, for example. That isn't to say you can't publish a photo in a commercial environment, such as a newspaper or a blog that accepts ads. If the photo is being used in a news or artistic sense as opposed to a commercial one you're OK.

Photographers Guide to Privacy
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

Without getting into boogies, videos for commercial release and the legal system and just focusing on the person to person relation someone brought up...

If you are jumping a number of times with someone taking film and they don't give you a copy but flaunt it all over myspace or youtube for their personal collection, obviously they are not your friend, so...

A. Don't jump with them/avoid them or if that is unavoidable ask them politely not to film you
B. Ask if you can have a copy of the footage if they continue to film you, if still no
C. Punch them the fuck out content in the fact they deserved it

On a regular jump with regular people and no special use for the film, everyone being filmed has just as much right to a copy as the person with the camera on his head. Within reason of course, filmed people brought a usb stick along or a blank dvd for a hard copy and there are no hassles and the filmer doesn't have to go home with two hours worth of copying for everyone homework.

If they don't share regardless they're probably just a jerk, make friends and swap footage so you have what you filmed and yourself on film.