sundevil777

Seattle Mariners - over .500!

Could they be for real again?

The Mariners are still in second place in their division, but it's been four years since the Mariners were above third-place this far into the year.

I saw a lot of games at the Kingdome, left Seattle in '95 before they had completed their first winning season. Thanks to cable TV and an extra $130, I saw almost every game of their incredible 2001 season. If they keep winning I'll be tempted to spend money again to watch them. B|
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

HaHA! Mee too! Born and raised in Texas I could never get myself to follow the perrenial losers, Texas Rangers. I moved to Seattle in 1990 and I too left in the fall of '95. I became a Mariner's fan while I was there. I loved Griffey, Buhner, ALex and Edgar!

I have followed them every since. However, this was going to be my make it or break it year. If they tanked again, I was going to quit paying to watch them. We'll see. I'm not confident they can win with their pitching. And what is it about Seattle that takes .300 hitters from other teams and makes them a .150 hitter? How do you stay a starting first baseman and hit as poorly as Sexon does?:S

steveOrino

HaHA! Mee too! Born and raised in Texas I could never get myself to follow the perrenial losers, Texas Rangers. I moved to Seattle in 1990 and I too left in the fall of '95. I became a Mariner's fan while I was there. I loved Griffey, Buhner, ALex and Edgar!

I have followed them every since. However, this was going to be my make it or break it year. If they tanked again, I was going to quit paying to watch them. We'll see. I'm not confident they can win with their pitching. And what is it about Seattle that takes .300 hitters from other teams and makes them a .150 hitter? How do you stay a starting first baseman and hit as poorly as Sexon does?:S

Sexon always hit pretty well when he was with the Indians. What'd you guys do to him??

... And what is it about Seattle that takes .300 hitters from other teams and makes them a .150 hitter? How do you stay a starting first baseman and hit as poorly as Sexon does?:S

Sexon always hit pretty well when he was with the Indians. What'd you guys do to him??

Spezzio hit with his former team too. Something about the NW. :S

steveOrino

... And what is it about Seattle that takes .300 hitters from other teams and makes them a .150 hitter? How do you stay a starting first baseman and hit as poorly as Sexon does?:S

Spezzio hit with his former team too. Something about the NW. :S

Were you a Mariners fan in '95 when they played the Indians in the ALCS? Best series I've ever watched! The players from those two teams could have their own All-Star game. ;)

After the Braves collapsed last year after that incredible 14 year run, who knew they would be up on or near the top again this year??? The bullpen and pitching staff had to be rebuilt, plus the Jones are back to bashing homers again.

But hey, as long as the Yankees SUCK, I'm happy! :D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Were you a Mariners fan in '95 when they played the Indians in the ALCS? Best series I've ever watched!

Actually, the best series ever was the one immediately preceding that one...the 5 game set against the Yankees. For those of us who had suffered long, we finally had our payoff. Trailing the Angels by 13 games in August, the M's closed out the season with a 25-11 run to force a one game do-or-die playoff that included an in-the-park grand slam by Luis Sojo. They then dropped the first two against the NYY, despite battling 15 innings in game 2 (finished by a Leyritz homer...the same guy who'd threatened earlier in the season to have his homies waiting outside the stadium to kick Randy Johnson's ass). They were looking done. They came back to win three in a row, all at home. Randy and Black Jack McDowell started game 3, then both came in as relievers in game 5, which was started by David Cone...catch that? Three Cy Youngs pitched in Game 5, two of them on two days rest. I and several of my friends can give you the final call by Dave Niehaus in the 11th inning, and the shot of Junior under the pile at homeplate was one of the best sport pictures I've seen. For those of you who can hear Dave's voice in your head...the call.

Right now, the Mariners are looking for the tie. They would take a fly ball, they would love a base hit into the gap and they can win it with Junior's speed. The stretch, and the 0-1 pitch on the way to Edgar Martinez. Swung on and lined down the left field line for a base hit, here comes Joey, here is Junior to third base, they're going to wave him in! The throw to plate is -- not in time! The Mariners are going to play for the American League Championship! I don't believe it! It just continues, my oh my!

:)
Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

yep, been a fan since I moved there in 1990. '95 was a great year!

Jeebus but you picked a good year to start paying attention. 1990 was our first winning season, and seeing the Ken Griffey Jr and Sr duo playing in the outfield together was quite the Kodak moment. The father-son back-to-back jacks that year were just silly church league softball absurdity...and I mean that in the nicest possible way. :)
Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I moved there from Santa Maria, CA where temporarily I was a A's fan (remember the 89 World series earthquake -- I felt it in while coaching a football game at St. Joseph High School)

I immediatley fell in love withe Mariners because as their pastor people were always taking me to games. Somehow that failed to impress me when I watched the Seahwaks in the Kingdome though. Still a Cowboys fan back then.

The only bad thing I remember about the Mariners was their uniforms when I first moved up in 1990. Blue/gold with a big Safeway "S" on the cap. I liked the trident better.

steveOrino

Were you a Mariners fan in '95 when they played the Indians in the ALCS? Best series I've ever watched!

Actually, the best series ever was the one immediately preceding that one...the 5 game set against the Yankees. For those of us who had suffered long, we finally had our payoff. Trailing the Angels by 13 games in August, the M's closed out the season with a 25-11 run to force a one game do-or-die playoff that included an in-the-park grand slam by Luis Sojo. They then dropped the first two against the NYY, despite battling 15 innings in game 2 (finished by a Leyritz homer...the same guy who'd threatened earlier in the season to have his homies waiting outside the stadium to kick Randy Johnson's ass). They were looking done. They came back to win three in a row, all at home. Randy and Black Jack McDowell started game 3, then both came in as relievers in game 5, which was started by David Cone...catch that? Three Cy Youngs pitched in Game 5, two of them on two days rest. I and several of my friends can give you the final call by Dave Niehaus in the 11th inning, and the shot of Junior under the pile at homeplate was one of the best sport pictures I've seen. For those of you who can hear Dave's voice in your head...the call.

Right now, the Mariners are looking for the tie. They would take a fly ball, they would love a base hit into the gap and they can win it with Junior's speed. The stretch, and the 0-1 pitch on the way to Edgar Martinez. Swung on and lined down the left field line for a base hit, here comes Joey, here is Junior to third base, they're going to wave him in! The throw to plate is -- not in time! The Mariners are going to play for the American League Championship! I don't believe it! It just continues, my oh my!

:)
Blues,
Dave

Ahhh yes, that was a great series. But I was busy watching the Tribe.
My favorite memry of the Mariners-Indians series was when Kenny Loften scored from 2nd on a wild pitch, sliding past an in-attentive Randy Johnson standing at the plate holding the ball.
Sorry....had to bring that one up! :D
Griffey was good, but it was Buhner whose bat scared me the most. It seemed he always came through in a clutch situation in that series.