wrespess

Looking to buy first rig....is this a good one?

I'll be finishing aff in a week and looking to buy my own gear.I not really looking for advice on wingloading ratios, but really do need some advice on buying my first rig. What do you guys think about this one?....and whats it worth?

*enclosed are some pics of the setup

Thanks

Container is a Vector 2 V-5 DOM 06/95..rig has approx 450 jumps on it. it is set-up for RSL and cypres but does not have either on it . It is set-up for either ROL or BOC. Container has brand new velcro and has been freshly washed and cleaned. New collapsable pilot chute.

Main is a Specter 210 DOM 06/97...NO DAMAGE...approx 250 to 300 jumps on it. It still feels slick to the touch...Colors..Blackberry, light blue, royal blue, royal blue, royal blue, light blue, blackberry.

Reserve is a Raven 2(218 sqaure feet) DOM 06/95 with 1 ride

I has been thoughly inspected (master rigger) and it is in great shape. It will be shipped with a fresh reserve and main pack job.Basically it will be ready to jump straight out of the box.

I'd say about $1400

That's my guess. I want to see how close I come to what others that do it for a living say.

Does it fit you well or not?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

it is set-up for RSL

How? Since it is a Vector, if it's a Factory RSL installation then it either HAS an RSL or it doesn't. There is no easy way to remove a factory RSL installation on a Vector without replacing the reserve ripcord (expensive). If it was done by an non-factory rigger then check to make sure the installation is legal.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

it is set-up for RSL

How? Since it is a Vector, if it's a Factory RSL instalation installation then it either HAS an RSL or it doesn't. There is no easy way to remove a factory RSL instalation installation on a VEctor without replacing the reserve ripcord (expensive). If it was done by an non-factory rigger then check to make sure the instalation installation is legal.

Excellent point, good catch JP.:)
(work on that:P spelling)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Thanks for your input its very helpfull. I'm deciding between that one and this one:

one notable point is that the vector i could get for about 1300 and this one would be 1700

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_reply_write;parent_post_id=2422883

"Hey
Well it is a Dolphin container all black with a custom
white dolphin. the Main is a 9cell raider 220 with
black and white pannels on one half and all black on
the other. the reserve is a 7cell maverick 200 all
red. it has a botom throw out hackey. I am 6'0" 235
and it fits good. also I had a friend try it on and it
fit him as well he is 6'2"185. It also comes with a
digital Altimeter, log book, matching gloves, and
packing bands. I have never used it even once. It is
BRAND NEW. Never finished my training and then moved
away from my drop zone. any other questions let me
know I will be elk hunting all weekend but will get
back to you on monday"

Which looks to be better a buy?
Also, i planned on focusing mainly on free flying.

I like the Vector package better but then I think you're getting a much better value in the Spectre. If you do a few hundred jumps on it and then sell it you'll probably recoup most of your initial investment of $1300 in the canopy alone.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Which looks to be better a buy?

Better buy has got to be the Vector - as JP said for the canopy. Spectres are a great learning canopy. In fact a great all round canopy!

As for the free flying, personally I wouldn't want to do that on either of those containers. But at your level FF may be some way off yet anyway so this might not be an issue. :)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Container has brand new velcro and has been freshly washed and cleaned.

Then you should consider that you will have to go to a rigger to do some modifications. My first rig was a Vector 2 with velcro. I went to my rigger and he replaced the velcro on the risercovers with tuck tabs. He did a good job, they always remaind closed.

He also added some velcro on the inside of the reserve flap to keep it closed better. I had it replaced with every repack (180 days over here). After opening and closing the flap to check the pins, the velcro would wear out and on certain transitions (headdown to sit) the flap would open once in a while.

J.

Why are you worrying about buying a rig yet? Seriously think about waiting until you are MUCH closer to getting your license. Also, neither of those rigs are particularly well suited to free flying. Don’t fall into the trap of buying something for the sake of buying something, or because it is available. Wait and find the right rig that truly meets your needs.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

How much does gear rental cost?

If it costs $25 per jump and you buy a rig for $1,500 then you pay for the rig at 60 jumps. Then you can sell the rig (now you saved money) and upgrade.

Does the rig fit? Are you going to want to downsize canopies or try disciplines the container was not meant for before 60 jumps? How hard will the rig be to sell?

Just a few things I'm thinking about while searching for gear.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

DO NOT CUT CORNERS ON YOUR GEAR! Your gear is the only thing that will keep you from crashing into the planet. Make sure you get what is right for YOU, YOUR experience, YOUR size, and YOUR discipline.

At your level, you probably haven't figured out if you’re going to focus on freeflying or RW. You don't want your gear to control your choice. So remember, you can do RW in freefly gear, but you can't freefly in RW gear.

As everyone else has said, don't buy gear just for the sake of buying gear. Get what's right for you.

There are over 300 complete systems in the classifieds section of dz.com. If this doesn't turn out to be the right set up for you, keep looking. Find the next one you think is good, write another post, and ask again....we're all here to help you.....Dat's what we do!!!!! ;)

P.S. If you're not sure what constitutes freefly friendly gear, either ask in a post or PM me.

DO NOT CUT CORNERS ON YOUR GEAR! Your gear is the only thing that will keep you from crashing into the planet. Make sure you get what is right for YOU, YOUR experience, YOUR size, and YOUR discipline.

Couldn't have said it better! Having just gotten my gear, I must say wait for the right deals. I almost bought some stuff that wasn't the "best" for me (non-freefly friendly containers, older reserves, etc...), but then I sat down and thought that each time I jump, this think will be saving my life. So I waited a bit and found what suited me.

After about 1.5 months of talking to my instructors and riggers, I pieced togther some gear and am glad I didn't go with some of the "cheaper" alternatives...

I would also wait to get your A license (this is what I'm doing). I have read posts of people doing coach jumps after AFF and changing their mind about skydiving. A bad expierience may take away from the initial excitement and might cause you to change your mind of solidify it. (Not to mention, will your dropzone even let you jump your own rig at this point?)
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

No...they won't let me jump with it, but after this weekend i'll hopefully finish the initial training and i can use my own gear or rent their's at $75 a day. I'd rather spend mony on my own gear for piece of mind and get a return on my investment when i sell it. Instead on weekends of rental money floating away.

$75 a day

Holy Fuck Nuts!! That seems pretty crazy. I think my home DZ still charges $5 a rental. If you don't want to pack it, it's $5 more.

$75/day beats $30/jump. At 25, it depends on the jumper - early on I was usually done in after 2-3 jumps. $30 for the half day was great then.

But...if you're going to more than one DZ or your DZ has a lot of inventory (iow, variety), you're not pissing away your money. You're demoing gear to help you make the best personal choice. Without that I could easily have picked Infinity over Wings, though the latter felt much more comfortable *to me*.