tdog

Kayakers out there

So I am a novice kayaker... Very novice. (Although I took on some pretty good rapids on a 10 mile stretch with a friend years ago without the skill to roll, so the threat of swimming made me work exceptionally hard at stability:S)

Anyway - went to a "roll class" tonight. Was working on C to C - as that is the roll they teach first. (Although I saw a video on youtube that made a slightly modified roll look much easier and guys much older and out of shape than I were nailing it, so maybe...)

After about 15 tries - I almost had it. Could roll on my own, but when I did, the paddle hit the pool bottom when I was 3/4 of the way over, meaning too much arms, not enough hips, per the instructors... Then the pool closed and I was probably too tired to be any good at it anyway by that point.

Anyone got this roll thing nailed? Anything you suggest to visualize to nail the hip-snap at the right time without using the arms? After skydiving, I have the visualization thing down and it has become how I learn. So, what do you think about when you do it (assuming it is not completely second nature).

Basically when you roll, you have to leave your head down in the water. DON'T force it up. It is hard to do a good hip snap when your head is out of the water before the rest of your body. Get the paddle in the water so it is parallel to the boat. Use the paddle pushing up, and the snap you'll manage to get the C-C roll. Practice this first before you start modifying anything. It's the way to do it! In the river you can be under all types of scenerios where you don't have a chance to move the paddle in a particular area, so then you can start worrying about placement of body and paddle... hang in there you'll get it. eventually you'll be questioning how in the world it took you so long to learn it...:)

"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Once you get it, it is really second nature - keep at it. I can still (20 years after I quit racing) roll a C-1 without a paddle. It is all in the technique. You really don't put any force on the paddle, it's mainly an upper body motion thing.

One method that may help you get the hang of it quickly and allow you to transition to a normal roll is the "pawlata roll" - the same thing, only using an extended paddle. (google "pawlata" for some videos and explanations). Learn to do it that way until it requires no force on the paddle, then normal rolling will be easy.

Have fun - don't drown!

"Better a has-been than a never-was. Better a never-was than a never-tried-to-be..."

Keeping your head down is definately the hardest part, but you will get it.

I got frustrated at first, threw the paddle accross the lake and learned to roll with just the hip snap. After that, it didn't matter what was in my hands.... or what wasn't. Bubbles is right, you are going to find yourself in situations that don't permit you to "choose" where or how you use your paddle during the roll.

Doing too hard of a hip snap can also be a pain because you just keep on rolling...... damn! upsidedown again!

Be patient, you'll get it and after you do, then it's second nature!
Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."

I used to teach kayaking and I saw a lot of people go through the same thing. Learing to roll can be a pain in the ass. Some people get it right off the bat, others take hours and hours in the pool. Different instructors use different methods and I would advise you to go switch around instructors until you get one who can help make it click.

The biggest problem most people have is that they instinctually try to bring their head out of the water first. Even if you are not doing it consciouslly, your body wants your head to come out of the water first and you will be fighting it the whole way. Until you truely get comfortable being underwater in the kayak and bringing your head out last, you will have difficulty rolling. You should only need to use your arms and paddle at the very end of your roll.

Getting your roll perfect is a lot like learning to get stable in freefall, there are a lot of things people can say to try to help, but it really comes down to balance and muscle memory. Just keep at it and you'll get it eventually.

Oh, and whenever you are a ready to get out on a river, let me know and I'll come along ;)

Oh, and whenever you are a ready to get out on a river, let me know and I'll come along ;)

I am one of those back-assward people... I have done lakes rivers without the skills to roll. So lets go...

Just kidding... I want to be more comfortable before I go again so I can have fun instead of struggle with the concept of "nail this rapid and go conservative because swimming sucks". I rather go big and biff and recover. :P

I know you Raft... Do you Kayak too? I will buy gas and lunch if you would give me pointers and coaching if you ever want to hit a river.

The advice of keeping your head in to the end makes sense and I think I have that part visualized. The one time I didn't, I felt how unsuccessful it would be... The problem was if anything the opposite... My head and paddle was ending up quite low below the boat, so the "C" formed with my torso was completed after the hip-roll, but the boat was more upside down than rightside up, hence the roll stalled....

P.S. For those of you learning in a pool, nose plug... I am still blowing out chlorinated water from my nose. he he he (I had one but forgot to take it out of my car. Damn)

Funny, funny. I've been paddling for 9 years and I still can't roll without nose plugs! There is just something so very un-natural about water going DOWN your nose instead of up it! Good luck! Keep having fun, it'll all fall into place!
Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."

I still can't roll without nose plugs! There is just something so very un-natural about water going DOWN your nose instead of up it!

All you have to do is blow out a tiny little bit of air through your nose. As long as air bubbles are coming out, water can't get in. And it doesn't take much, so it doesn't affect a great deal the amount in your lungs.

I can only hold my breath for 6 seconds and heaven help me if I let any of that air go! :S

I've tried numerous times.... sadly it just doesn't work for me without them.