FlyinDawg

Crazy mine!

I wonder how much water they pump out of there each day? You know the name of the mine?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Diavik Diamond Mine in Canada's Northwest Territories. http://www.diavik.ca/PDF/DiavikFactBook.pdf

The cool thing is the dikes that hold Lac de Gras back have an internal refrigeration system turned on in the summer to keep the dikes in their permafrost state, this permafrost barrier reduces the amount of water needed to be pumped from the pit drastically,

Several mines are in gnarley locations, if ore is found people will find a way to mine it. I am working at a mine in the Peruvian Andes right now, our highest bench is 4763meters which is only 617m shy of Everest Base Camp. I jump from much lower than this.

What's equally cool about the Diavik, Ekati, and Jericho mines up there is that they use a literal ice road to deliver supplies and equipment up there.

This month's Car & Driver has a whole column about that ordeal, big semis travelling 15mph for over 300 miles.

The opening paragraph reads: "I am riding in the white Frieghtliner Columbia that weighs 141,094 pounds. We're inching along at 15 mph, pulling a stainless-steel tanker filled with 12,682 gallons of diesel fuel. All told, our rig stretches 80 feet, and the road we're on isn't a road, but a lake. Outside, it is 40 below (F). The ice beneath us is 27 to 36 inches thick, and it occasionally emits the sort of sounds you'd associate with an artillery range."

:o

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!