McBeth

Visiting the Grand Canyon

i don't know, but greg and i are planning on going in the fall also - let me know if you get any good tips :)

i have heard (i actually believe it was on here) that the glass walk is a big time waste of $$ so dont do it
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

I'm going to the Grand Canyon in September with my mom. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on where to stay and things that we definitely shouldn't miss.

If you are planning on staying at the canyon, then you are probably too late to get a place.

My preference is the North Rim (not as commercialized as the south rim. Page, AZ isn't to far away and its a nice drive up to the canyon from there. If you stay in Page, you can also visit Lake Powell and the Glen Canyon dam. If you've ever read any of Ed Abbey's books, it'll be a treat for you.

Other than that - get out of the car and hike as often as possible! There are some awesome views - even if it is all sedimentary rocks you see from the top :|
Scars remind us that the past is real

If you are planning on staying at the canyon, then you are probably too late to get a place.

Actually, I was gonna say if she's willing to be flexible, lots of times rooms open up last minute. But you might get one night in one place and one night in another. I went a few years back, last minute decision, and I called up to see what they had. I was able to get a room in the El Tovar for two nights, but it was two different rooms. No big deal - I just packed my stuff up and left it in the room in the morning; when I came back in the afternoon they'd moved my bags to the other room, and I just picked up the key for it.

El Tovar is a grand old hotel; I've heard good things about the Bright Angel Lodge, too. There's a pretty wide variety of types of lodging in the park, but it might just be a matter of calling up to see what they have.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke