RALFFERS

Bearshare

Can someone tell me if the bearshare P2P client is legal. ITunes is getting quite expensive; I've been told that its a 0.99 a mont subscription fee (as opposed to 0.99 per song on ITunes). If this were the case it would be really cool; I love my music. However, I' not certain of these claims and if the advertisement is correct, and don't want to cause myself any unnecessary legal problems. Both their Websites claim it is either free or legal; I'm iffy about it being free and legal; it's easier to buy the 0.99 a month subscription idea. But when I downloaded the client there was no mention of this. What do ya'll think?
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Copyright issues aside be careful. It is often distributed with spyware if not got directly from there site. If you don't care about copyright you are better using bit torrent and thepiratebay.net but that is full of mostly copyrighted material that the RIAA/MPAA will prosecute you for if you redistribute it. So stop uploads :o).

Before DSE or others that work in the industry chip in I do not condone copyright infringement and you should respect the artists and technicians that made the effort to create content you want. And also support the RIAA/MPAA acting, as some have suggested, in violation of the RICO act, in suing mothers of children for hundreds of thousand of dollars because their 6 year old downloaded a track.

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

Before DSE or others that work in the industry chip in I do not condone copyright infringement and you should respect the artists and technicians that made the effort to create content you want. And also support the RIAA/MPAA acting, as some have suggested, in violation of the RICO act, in suing mothers of children for hundreds of thousand of dollars because their 6 year old downloaded a track.

I do respect the artist(s), thats why I wanted to find out if all is legit here. I know the client itself is legal, but I wanted to know if that was the case with the material being downloaded. It is not my intension to steal anything.

I know the client itself is legal, but I wanted to know if that was the case with the material being downloaded.

Well now that would depend on what material you are downloading, wouldn't it? ;) If it's copyrighted material, it's just as illegal to share through "Bearshare" as it is through any other P2P network... why wouldn't it be?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

if it's copyrighted material, it's just as illegal to share through "Bearshare" as it is through any other P2P network... why wouldn't it be?

On ITunes there is a fee per download to download copyrighted material; I simply was being led to believe that this client is legit in similar fashion, with the monthly subscription. However, I didn't see anything like that (never was prompted to provide credit card info), therefore I'm assuming only the client itself is legal. Just trying to clear some red-tape; I think we all can agree that sometimes lines in these sort of issues can get blurry, at best.

if it's copyrighted material, it's just as illegal to share through "Bearshare" as it is through any other P2P network... why wouldn't it be?

On ITunes there is a fee per download to download copyrighted material

Yes, but iTunes is a "download purchase" store. You're downloading straight from the store.

P2P is a network where any 2 Joe Shmoes can connect to each other and share anything they want. How could 99 cents make that legal, or comparable to a store?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Hmmm, what's the easiest way to say this? If you are subscribing to a service, monthly, that allows you to download **files** to your computer that can be burned or transfered to another person, sorry, it's not legal (I'm of course assuming music here, as you did mention itunes.) There are some services out there that are legit as monthly subscriptions, but you cannot download the music. You are simply paying a fee to select your own playlist that is then streamed to your computer. Basically you are programming your own internet radio station. Capturing this stream to file is also illegal.

Basically to be legal:
Download to file: Pay per file.
Stream to listen: Pay per month.

There may be acceptions, but none that I know of. You can also get free internet radio, like Shoutcast, but programming what you want to hear is pretty much not gonna happen.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Does a service that charges, like Bearshare, automatically include licensing fees for the copyright owner, or do you have to deal directly with them to stay legal?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG