xjumprjosh

R-Max Reserve Ride

Since I couldn't find the R-Max in the gear section, I thought that I would write my review here. About me: I jump a Wings container, a Sabre2 150 and and an R-Max 148. Last week at Rantoul I had the opportunity to demo a lot of canopies from Art Sherry @ skydivestore.com and Skyfest. After trying out the Stiletto and a smaller Sabre2, I decided to try the Nitron 150. Due to my poor packing skills I opend in severe line twists that I couldn't get out of. By about 1900 feet I decided it was time to get rid of it. The reserve opening was pretty mushy since I didn't have a terminal opening, but it was still quick for what felt like an eternity to me. It opened on heading (thanks Mike) and flew straight (which I've heard some reserves do not do). I was a little concerned about landing a 148 sq ft non-zp canopy, but it landed like a main and put me right on my tippy toes. I was a bit hesitant at buying an R-Max at first versus buying a PD or other reserve, but I wouldn't have a problem getting another one. Additionally, I was able to purchase it for 40% off at that, no other reserve came close to the $700 bucks I paid for the R-Max. Thanks to my rigger, thanks to Art at skydivestore and thank u Precision.

Yes, I had a similar experience with an R-Max 118, last fall.
I didn't even try to stnnad up in that muddy farmer's field, but did not have enough residual energy to do a full PLF, so just sagged to my knees.

Bottom line, even a heavily-loaded R-Max will set you down softly.