kjarv

CYPRES 4-Year Due, no rigger Available!

Hello all!
I need an assist--- My Cypres is due for it's 4-year check, but I don't have a rigger anywhere nearby (I'm stationed in South Korea).

Skydives are pretty much defacto unavailable here, so it's a good opportunity to send off the Cypres. And, as you know, the only way to get the Cypres out is to pop the reserve...

I'm not a rigger, and don't intend to jump my rig until my Cypres returns, AND I get to a rigger for a reserve repack (when I return to USA). When I do get access to a DZ again, I know a rigger can handle a speedy packjob :)
So---do I have a shot at this or am I completely buggered? Any advice/gotchas on removing the Cypres (I've got a Mirage G3).

Do I need special tools to get my reserve closed again (I wanna close it so I can travel with it eventually).

THANKS!
-kjarv

Yes, you'll need some tools to get the reserve closed again.

Do you have a copy of the manual for your rig? According to your profile, you have a Mirage. Take a look at your rig's manual... or dig up a copy on-line... and look see what you're getting yourself into if you decide to open your reserve, pull the Cypres and close your reserve up again.

Yes, you'll need some tools. At a minimum, you'll need something to use as a pull-up cord. Usually a length of Cypres loop material, but since you'd have your Cypres out, you could use a length of 550 since you won't be threading it through the cutter and something resembling a packing paddle or something to wrap the pull-up cord around so you can tug on it really good... oh, and probably a gun cleaning rod to get the pull-up cord through the center of the pilot chute... and you could use your reserve rip-cord / pin as a temp pin, although it would be a pain.

Anway, FIRST, go read your rig's manual and see what your getting yourself into. Depending on how much longer your TDY is, it may be worth waiting.

One more thought... there's no military riggers where you're at? They'd have some of the tools you'd need and one of them may have dealt with sport gear.

Good luck.

Getting the Cypres out is easy, but you do need to handle the cables very carefully. In some rigs there may be some tacking of the cables (very few, mostly older rigs), but otherwise it should be a simple process without the need for special tools. You should be able to handle the process yourself, but it would be a good idea to look at the Cypres manual here http://www.cypres-usa.com/, and the Mirage manual here [url]http://www.miragesys.com/Home/ReferenceHome.aspx[/ur;]. On the Mirage site, select your product, and then click details/documentation to find the manual.

Closing the rig is tough and does require special tools. You probably won't be able to do it yourself, and should probably plan on just closing the flaps without compressing the pilot chute. Another option is to make a really long closing loop so the flaps close real easily...it won't be jumpable, but at least it will pack well for travel.

The second post on this thread suggested you check in with a military rigger, and that would be a great idea. They may not know about civilian gear, but they do understand basic rigging, and should be able to offer some help in handing the Cypres. If you have an AFB nearby, the folks in life support would probably be real interested in taking a look at your gear. Give them a call.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

What is the DOM for the rig? Is it less than a year and a half old? If it is older, has it been in for the SB12-04 modification where they change the cutter placement? If not, send it to be done and have the rigger there send in the Cypres.

If the mod has been done, you will also need a length of string or twine to tye to the cutter head so that the cutter will be easier to thread back through when the Cypres comes back. If you want more explanation you can PM me.

Tubing, so easy a caveman can do it.

I tye a length of super tack cord to the cutter before removal, pull the cutter out, then cut the cord. I leave quite a bit on each side, usually enough to tye the ends together so that it does not come out. That way when I go to put the cutter back in, the cord acts as a guide back through the flap.

The cord will just be a help to the rigger.

Tubing, so easy a caveman can do it.

If you're not planning on jumping it, there's really no reason to close the rig after removing the AAD. Just put the bagged reserve back in the pack tray and tie the flaps closed with some line or a pull up cord. The pilot chute takes up more room without the spring collapsed, but if you pack it in a bag with the rig and other stuff, it will be OK. You can actually compress the PC spring and wrap the bridle around it tightly (it helps to have a friend to assist) and tie it, then it will take up less room in your baggage. Be careful when you untie it - B|

Yes, be careful with the Cypres wires and send the cutter head with it. Maybe you can have them ship it to your stateside address when it's done. That will be one less thing to bring back with you.

Kevin