LisaM

Spinal Tap 2

So now the docs are convinced that my perfectly normal fluid pressure done during last Friday's spinal tap was done incorrectly. He told me to make sure I was not sitting up because thanks to gravity, that could provide inaccurate results. I should lay on my side.

Well, I told them that and they put me on my stomach. I assumed lying down was lying down.

Now they want me to go back and have another. OMG but it was horrible!!! I want to be knocked out this time!!!!

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Lisa,
They should have done it right the first time!! To test the pressure for Benign Intracranial Hypertension, after the needle is in place, you need to lay on your side to measure the pressure. I position my patients that way to begin with. And a skilled operator should make the procedure quite comfortable. Don't let a newbie do it to you. Ask them to use extra lidocaine to numb you, and if you are anxious askthem to pretreat you with some anxiety med. It should NOT be a horrible experience. I have people fall asleep while I collect fluid, or ask me when I am starting after the needle is already in. Sorry you are having such a crappy experience.

Ed

edited for spelling
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

So then can you tell me, why is the pressure different between the back and the side? What causes that?

So then it might be possible the 9mm was incorrect?

They got me to gasp a few times and then I got the tingles in my leg (3 of them) before the needle was in.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

It's a matter of gravity - when you are on your side, your spinal canal is at the same level as your brain, and the pressure measured is the true intracranial pressure. If you are sitting up, your brain is higher than the needle insertion site in your spine, and the pressure measured is your intracranial pressure plus the pressure from the height of fluid above the measuring device.

Occasionally if you are off center, you can hit a nerve and feel a stinger down the leg - this is a signal for them to reposition. 3 times seems a little much though.

Ed
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

I'm not sure what you mean - maybe I misunderstood. Taps are done with you on your side, or sitting up. I have never seen them do one with you on your stomach.

"

> But what is the difference between on the stomach and on the side?

Same difference in whether you puncture a milk container in the bottom or in the top. If you puncture it near the top milk dribbles out; if you puncture it near the bottom it squirts out under pressure.

When you're on your side your spine is close to aligned with your brain. On your stomach it could be (depending on your anatomy) significantly higher. That could throw off pressure results, although it shouldn't be that significant.

Same difference in whether you puncture a milk container in the bottom or in the top. If you puncture it near the top milk dribbles out; if you puncture it near the bottom it squirts out under pressure.

When you're on your side your spine is close to aligned with your brain. On your stomach it could be (depending on your anatomy) significantly higher. That throws off pressure results.

and my head was up on a pillow. I think I see where the diff could be now....

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

When you're on your side your spine is close to aligned with your brain. On your stomach it could be (depending on your anatomy) significantly higher. That could throw off pressure results, although it shouldn't be that significant.

wait... wouldn't that make the pressure seem higher then if my head was higher up than my back??

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

""wait... wouldn't that make the pressure seem higher then if my head was higher up than my back?? ""

Yep. Just like Billvon explained. I don't do them in xray dept - I do my own in the ER, and refer the tough ones to radiology. Maybe they do the flat on the stomach approach - I've never seen it. But I can't imagine your head on a pillow would make more that a few centimeters of H2O difference. If I remember right, your original opening pressure was normal, but I can't remember the number.

"

Opening pressure was 9.

I tend to think my docs are stumped and reaching and darnit I have to have another stupid tap because of it. :(

Edited to add: but I don't think they'll have me go to there again at the hospital. And this time they will be more explicit with their instructions.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Ed, keep in mind, it's August. All the newbie medical school graduates are in the hospital. she may have gotten an intern. (remember those days).

There were 2 folks in there. The one that started stopped every time I gasped and then the guy took over and shoved it on in there which was when I felt the 3 tingles.

I assumed from that he was the veteren and she was the newbie. But he was the one that finished getting it in and the one that read the pressure. After they connected the tube to get the fluid, she took over and he left.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Hey what about advil? I read last night to stop taking advil several days prior to the tap. Could that affect the pressure?

I have a horrific headache all the time with this so I have been taking advil. For the tap at 2:45 last Friday I did not take any advil after 6am.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?