LisaM

? about kitty's nails

OK kitty experts. The other day I found what looked like a torn kitty nail. I inspected Maya's paw (as much as she would let me) and it seems one of her nails looks black. She keeps getting her nail stuck wher scratching and I'm worried.

Is this normal or do I need to get her to a vet? Should I attempt to trim her nails... even the ones that are black-ish (they look normal, just darker than the rest)?

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I just read that some cats have black nails and some have both. Maybe they have always been like that. I trimmed them a few times before giving up.

Lucy does her own nicely and doesn't seem to have issues getting stuck (though she pokes my leg in the morning for kicks and they are rather sharp). But maya just plays on the carpet scratcher and doesn't seem to trim on the ropes like Lucy does.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

That'd go good with her grey fur.

Do you trim your kitty's claws?

Only the one that is too stupid to know what the scratcher and rope are for. :S

It's no big deal. You can see the vein inside. Just don't get too close and make them bleed.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

She won't let me anymore. She used to sit on dad's lap and lick his hand while I did it. She's not much of a lap sitter anymore. Neither kitty is. Maybe because it's summer and we don't have a nice warm blanket on our laps.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Hate to break in a "lisa's only" thread...:D but my kiities both have multi colored nails. I trim them both about once a month. My Peanut has 2 blackish colored nails, and Jelly has 3 blackish nails. I did accidentally cut one of Jelly's nails too short and he was bleeding like a mofo, but he never cried about it at all. Don't think he even noticed. I am super careful now and don't trim too close to the paw.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

She won't let me anymore. She used to sit on dad's lap and lick his hand while I did it. She's not much of a lap sitter anymore. Neither kitty is. Maybe because it's summer and we don't have a nice warm blanket on our laps.

If she is getting caught on stuff because her claws are too long, you might consider getting them professionally cut. You don't want her ripping one out.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Hate to break in a "lisa's only" thread...:D but my kiities both have multi colored nails. I trim them both about once a month. My Peanut has 2 blackish colored nails, and Jelly has 3 blackish nails. I did accidentally cut one of Jelly's nails too short and he was bleeding like a mofo, but he never cried about it at all. Don't think he even noticed. I am super careful now and don't trim too close to the paw.

I did that to my parrot once. I felt horrible.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I was thinking about this last night. I don't recall her nails used to be multi-colored. I think I would have noticed especially since I was so nervous when I first cut their nails.

I need kitty valium! :)

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

If she is getting caught on stuff because her claws are too long, you might consider getting them professionally cut. You don't want her ripping one out.

I think she is just being silly and forgetting to retract them. They really don't look any longer than Lucy's nails. And I wonder why I don't come home and find her stuck to stuff. Maybe she's being an attention hog!

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?