Chris-Ottawa

VISO - ProTrack - Neptune Differences?

Hello everyone,

I've read many a thred about the VISO and other similar devices. I really wnat to know what makes the VISO $100 less than a neptune or ProTrack. They all do logging. Protrack is not visual (obviously), but the VISO and Neptune are. AS far as I can see, there are only 2 differences between the VISO and Neptune.

1 - Swoop Alarm
2 - Downloadable log

Am I correct in this? I want to get something to log my jumps, FF speed, canopy speed etc... I was looking at a protrack, but if I can get a visual as well, why not. Especially since it's cheaper for similar functionality. I'm really only concerned with FF speed, FF Time, and opening altitude, maybe canopy speed, which, as far as I can tell, all 3 deviced do. I know the VISO is not released yet, but it should be very soon. I plan to use this as a secondary device, I want to keep my Galaxy as well.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. If there was a thread I missed, please link it so I can take a gander at it.

Thanks!

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I want to get something to log my jumps, FF speed, canopy speed etc...

Pro-track won't do canopy speed (descent rate). I don't know about the others.

I'm really only concerned with FF speed, FF Time, and opening altitude, maybe canopy speed, which, as far as I can tell, all 3 deviced do.

Pro-track and Neptune will take care of FF speed, FF time, and opening altitude, I don't think the VISO will. AFAIK, it's just a straight visual altimeter.

I know the VISO is not released yet, but it should be very soon.

That's what I keep hearing, at least for the last year or so. :S

That's what I though at first too, but when I went to L& B this is what the ad says

ISO™ Software & functions

* Stores up to 10 minutes of profile data from last jump
* Displays Alti-Meter and Speed-Meter details from exit to landing
* Records and displays jump information about the last 200 jumps including exit altitude, deployment altitude, freefall time, max. speed in freefall and max. speed under canopy
* Choice of readings in feet or meter and mph or kmh

Pro-track and Neptune will take care of FF speed, FF time, and opening altitude, I don't think the VISO will. AFAIK, it's just a straight visual altimeter.

Actually, the VISO is both a visual altimeter AND it will tell you detailed speed information for every second of your skydive...that is from exit to landing! B| This is one of the features I love best, as I love seeing how FAST I can get my canopy to dive when I set up my 270 turn for swooping. It's also a valuable tool to see how long I've kept up my speed, before it starts slowing down. This allows me to work on my speed generating technique with different turn styles and such.

Cheers!

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

Actually, the VISO is both a visual altimeter AND it will tell you detailed speed information for every second of your skydive...that is from exit to landing! This is one of the features I love best, as I love seeing how FAST I can get my canopy to dive when I set up my 270 turn for swooping. It's also a valuable tool to see how long I've kept up my speed, before it starts slowing down. This allows me to work on my speed generating technique with different turn styles and such.

Anyone know if the Neptune will do this also?

Hello Justin,

The neptune also does this. That is why I started the post. The only thing as far as I can tell is the fact that you're getting a downloadable log, and alarms on the neptune. Hence why I'm confused, I just want something to log my jumps so I can see speeds and freefall times. All 3 devices do that. Pro track has a couple of extra pieces of data, such as average ff speed in first and second half of freefall.

Looks like I'm gonna pick up a VISO.

Looks like I'm gonna pick up a VISO.

I've been planning on it as well, but the official release date appears to be pushed back every month.

Last I heard they're going to start shipping in August, and by then I'll have already bought a Neptune. :S

I'd really love to give them some money, but so far have not yet had the oppurtunity.

I don't know about the VISO obviously since it's not out, but I carry a Neptune on my hand and in my helmet as an audible.

I find I get more reliable speed readings from the one in my helmet. The one on my hand sometimes give me really oddball readings (300mph etc.)

If you are really interested in the logging part this may help a bit.

Eventually you may want to get an audible to supplement your visual altitude reference, and since you seem to want the logging data.. Paralog stuff, why not kill two birds with one stone. Obviously you will still need a wrist or hand mount altimeter, but I assume you already have one.

If you are out at Gan for or Otter boogie this weekend and are around on Monday, come see me. Trevor is my name. I will let you do a few jumps with my Neptune (wrist or audible) to see if you like it. Using the Neptune as a visual is nice too since the canopy altitude reads very precisely, and you can practice stuff up high (flat turns, riser turns, stalls etc.) and find out exactly (within reason) how much altitude you are losing while performing these manouvers. Scott Miller carries a few extra around for students of his Freedom of Flight canopy course to try out.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I've been jumping a beta model of the Viso in combination with the Optima and I couldn't be happier. I get the freefall and swoop alarms out of the Optima, which are ultra accurate, and the easy to use visual and logbook functions out of the Viso. I've got a forearm pouch for the Viso that's comfortable and working out well (it's so light and thin the only time I know it's there is when I need to look at it). I couldn't be happier with the how the two devices compliment each other and promise that it'll be worth the wait - and with the prices as competitive as they are, I don't know why people wouldn't go for getting both a Viso and an Optima for just $90 more than a Neptune (or just $50 more if you go don't want the swoop alarms and go with the Solo).

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions, but I think the L&B website is pretty up to date with what each product does - http://www.l-and-b.dk

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

chris,

PMs back to you were blocked, the answer is "yes," the viso can be used as a real time speed meter OR a altimeter. In either mode, it still tracks the jumps and can play back you speed in real time once you're on the ground. It also logs the other stuff - exit alt., freefal time, top freefall speed, opening alt., and top canopy speed. It'll show you your speed in either TAS or SAS and in feet or meters (it's pretty easy to adjust the settings.

ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!