ljkenny

What's so special about VISO?

Hey guys,

I have been on these boards for all of 2 days and there's one thing I keep hearing about over and over.

People are raving about VISO by L&B but what is it?
Why is it so much better than Neptune?

I am now interested it purchasing one as I need a new alti, however, I would like to know why it is considered (by some) to be worth all the fuss it's causing.

I'm also aware that the release date keeps changing. Does anyone have an update on that also?

Too clowdy, too windy, not enough people to fill the aircraft, no pilot in today!
Why, oh why bigman, won't you let me jump?

I have been waiting for the Viso release since 9/05. As of Friday 6/16, (I Called them) L&B has pushed again to August. On Monday I ordered a Neptune. For me the the price is why I did not want to purchase the Neptune. The Neptune has everything the L&B Protrack has. The Viso does not have the interface with Jump track software like Protrack or swoop alarms,like the Neptune (last year the Viso was to have this feature, but not anymore), Since I wear a Protrack, I dont need the logging capabilities,(although the viso will be able to manually go back and review previous jumps, just no interface.) So, to answer your question, the Neptune has more features than the Viso, so if cost is not an issue the neptune is superior to the Viso. That is atleast what I based my decisions on. I just want a easy to read digital wrist mount.
Note: there are people that have experienced pre-mature battery drainage with the Neptune. I hope I do not experience this as I will send it back if so. I hope this helps....

Luck is Preparation meeting Opportunity

I have been waiting for the Viso release since 9/05. As of Friday 6/16, (I Called them) L&B has pushed again to August. On Monday I ordered a Neptune.

August? Hell, I guess I'll be ordering one as well.

I don't have any doubt that the Viso is going to be a great product, but I'm not going to wait all year for it, especially if they end up pushing back the date yet again. (This the 5th or 6th time now?)

I'm sure they do not want to release a product that isn't truly reliable. Thats what I gathered in my dialog with them, and I respect that. But Jeezus I've been waiting a year since I first decided to purchase. I ran out of patience. And I wanted to buy myself a cool Bday present.

OK so,

The Neptune is a better device (if the battery holds) but the VISO is the cheaper option!

Is that correct?

The L&B site is currently down too! That doesn't say a great deal for the company does it?

Too clowdy, too windy, not enough people to fill the aircraft, no pilot in today!

I'm sure they do not want to release a product that isn't truly reliable. Thats what I gathered in my dialog with them, and I respect that. But Jeezus I've been waiting a year since I first decided to purchase. I ran out of patience. And I wanted to buy myself a cool Bday present.

Agreed. I know one jumper that had one shipped to him last week, so I'm not sure what the circumstances are there, but I don't feel like waiting around any more.

Yes you are correct. There are more options on the Neptune. Which I don't need, Neptune list $ is $259. I believe the Viso is $149? I have been very happy with the other L&B products I have bought not to mention excellent cust. serv....

OK so,

The Neptune is a better device (if the battery holds) but the VISO is the cheaper option!

Is that correct?

The Neptune has logbook functions, but IIRC, the Viso doesn't. Neptune - 249$, Viso - $169 I think.

The L&B site is currently down too! That doesn't say a great deal for the company does it?

Not sure about the website, but they make good stuff, and their customer service is among the best in the sport.

website IS currently down, been that way for maybe an hour or so?

their customer service is among the very best in the business. you can search some old threads on here where customers have broken their audibles and what not or dogs have chewed on them or whatever and L&B have either outright replaced them or given them DEEP discounts. They treat their customers VERY VERY well. That's why I won't get another product, period.

L&B engenders an incredible loyalty, and, even if their products take awhile to get to market, they do kick ass... and now I'm seriously thinking of sinking 300 into that altitrack... :)

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Ok good! Starting to paint a clearer picture now...

L&B - Service, good
Neptune - Batteries, bad
L&B (VISO) - Cheap
Neptune - More features

Ok, so what about the pro-track by L&B?
It's around the same price as the Neptune but how does it differ in functionality?
The battery situation is turning me off the Neptune but I don't want to wait for the VISO!

It's around the same price as the Neptune but how does it differ in functionality?
The battery situation is turning me off the Neptune but I don't want to wait for the VISO!

I love my pro-track. It differs from the neptune in that the Pro-track doesn't function as an altimeter.

I've asked people around the DZ about their Neptunes, and I've heard no problems from anyone lately. I'm thinking the battery thing may have been an issue before some of the latest software updates.

Keep in mind that even though L&B has really great customer service, Alti-2 does a pretty good job too.;)

I love my pro-track. It differs from the neptune in that the Pro-track doesn't function as an altimeter.

I've asked people around the DZ about their Neptunes, and I've heard no problems from anyone lately. I'm thinking the battery thing may have been an issue before some of the latest software updates.

Keep in mind that even though L&B has really great customer service, Alti-2 does a pretty good job too.;)

does the neptune track altitude in 10's of feet under 1k? or is it just 100's of feet all the way from exit altitude? (does that make sense? sorry if it's unclear...) I think, but I'm not sure... that the viso will track alti in 10's of feet below 1k, is that right?

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

does the neptune track altitude in 10's of feet under 1k? or is it just 100's of feet all the way from exit altitude? (does that make sense? sorry if it's unclear...) I think, but I'm not sure... that the viso will track alti in 10's of feet below 1k, is that right?

Once in canopy mode the neptune tracks altitude by 10' increments.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

yeah, i'm gettin tired of waiting too... i'm actually lookin at the altitrack... anyone used one of these? i still like the analog scale...

I did a review on it in the gear section. I've only had 7 jumps with it but the dial is as smoth as butter :ph34r: and the computer is great $299 I didn't find it a bad price but starting with no gear it was eaven more atrictive to me for all the functions and features.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

funny you mention that... I just finished reading all the reviews! :D

so what did you think of my first review? god or bad to much useless information ?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

funny you mention that... I just finished reading all the reviews! :D

so what did you think of my first review? god or bad to much useless information ?

'twas good! w/ me, too much is not enough! :D

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I love my pro-track. It differs from the neptune in that the Pro-track doesn't function as a visual altimeter.

Fixed it for you! I flippin' hope it acts as an altimeter (audible) or maybe I have just been lucky with the 'random' beep timing for the last three years... ;):PB|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

On the Neptune, I have heard from maybe 1-2 people about batteries draining prematurely, but it seems very rare, and I think it could have other explanations such as if you leave the backlight on, or frequently change altitudes with your Neptune in the car while driving daily. If you don't need them, turning off the audible alarms will save some battery life.

If you still having problems, your local Atimaster Field Support rep or Alti-2 will be happy to help. Any defects will probably be fixed/replaced at the factory free of charge.

In the newest software version V2.6.0 the battery meter seems accurate and for me lasts a reasonably long time.

Most problems people have with the Neptune come from old software, an almost dead battery, or not understanding how to use it (although it's pretty simple).

I love my pro-track. It differs from the neptune in that the Pro-track doesn't function as a visual altimeter.

Fixed it for you! I flippin' hope it acts as an altimeter audible warning device or maybe I have just been lucky with the 'random' beep timing for the last three years... ;):PB|

There I fixed it for you. You can't look at a ProTrac attached to you helmet and see what you altitude is. If you could it would be an altimeter.:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals