skymedic

Congrats to the ROCKIES!!

...yeah but they also went into overtime on a bad call too...

What a game! Having grown up in Denver and watching the Rockies be the worst team in baseball it's nice to see them winning for once!

They didn't win. The player that scored the winning run never touched the plate. Bad call by the ump.:|
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Well, if you're going to complain about calls, I think that the Rockies hit a homerun that the umps didn't see well enough to call. That would have resulted in the Rockies leading after 9 and no extra innings. Doesn't matter, it's over.

That was an exciting ball game!!!! What a great finish to the season...Mets completing the collapse, the Phillies catching them, the Padres failing to close it out in 3 games. Trevor Hoffman blowing 2 saves.

Good for the Rockies...they played fantastic down the stretch and I hope they can carry ttheir momentum into the playoffs.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

They didn't win. The player that scored the winning run never touched the plate. Bad call by the ump.:|

I know nothing about baseball and am not pretending that I do. I heard someone say that because the guy at home plate blocked it when he didn't have possession of the ball, the Rockies player would have been declared safe anyway, even if he DIDN'T touch home plate. Is this correct? I'm just curious.
TPM Sister #102

Well, if you're going to complain about calls, I think that the Rockies hit a homerun that the umps didn't see well enough to call. That would have resulted in the Rockies leading after 9 and no extra innings. Doesn't matter, it's over.

That was an exciting ball game!!!! What a great finish to the season...Mets completing the collapse, the Phillies catching them, the Padres failing to close it out in 3 games. Trevor Hoffman blowing 2 saves.

Good for the Rockies...they played fantastic down the stretch and I hope they can carry ttheir momentum into the playoffs.

Not complaining about calls. I don't like either team, but it's clear in the replays that he didn't touch the plate. Plain and simple. Didn't see the home run replay. I saw the last of the highlights while playing pool at the bar last night. All I know is that he wasn't safe. That being said, he wasn't out either, as the catcher dropped the ball.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

I know nothing about baseball and am not pretending that I do. I heard someone say that because the guy at home plate blocked it when he didn't have possession of the ball, the Rockies player would have been declared safe anyway, even if he DIDN'T touch home plate. Is this correct? I'm just curious.

If I were the rockies player, I would've plowed the hell outta the catcher. If he's blocking the plate, he's fair game. And he had the opportunity to have possession prior to the rockies player getting to the plate. As far as I know, you MUST touch the plate.

I really didn't like the home plate umpire. Too much time delay when making a call. Even on balls and strikes....long wait for the arm to come up on a strike. I hope we don't see him working any playoff games.

On the play at the plate, I thought he hadn't made an indication because the runner hadn't touched the plate and the catcher hadn't yet tagged him...in other words, if the catcher picked up the ball and tagged him before he touched the plate he was out....which is what the Padres catcher tried to do. I was surprised to see the umpire indicate he was safe after waiting several seconds doing nothing. The call should have been made immediately.

I don't know that the runner didn't get a hand slightly under the catcher's left foot on the slide....it was really hard to tell from the replays that I saw....so we all have to live with the call made by the home plate umpire.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

The runner must touch each base in turn. However, if there is obstruction called by the umpire, the runner is awarded the base that he was going to next. If that is home plate, the umpire may have yelled obstruction and then signaled the player safe. Often hard to tell, even if at the game. A catcher can be called for obstruction if he is not in possession of the ball, the runner owns the baseline. MLB umpires make the call and even if the runner is supposed to touch home after the obstruction awards him the base, the umpire may not insist on it. Particularly if that run is the game winning run.
"Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion" - Democritus

I just got back from downtown Denver. What a crazy night! This is gonna be fun!

Did you go to the game or were you just watching it downtown? It looked on tv like it was a great crowd; lots of fun but nobody really out of hand.
TPM Sister #102