Stevehend15

Stalling

I just started jumping my new (to me) Tri 175. At about 4 or 5 thousand feet I tried to stall the canopy. At full arm extension I could not stall it. Also in a hard turn or riser stall the slider went past the bumpers and almost in my face. Is that normal? Can somebody that has flown this canopy give me some landing tips? It feels like I have tons of flare and not sure how to time it or handle it to its fullest.

You should, or even "must" ask your instructors for help on these things.

They can watch your landings as they happen and tell you how to flare better.

We can tell you that if you can't stall a canopy by pulling the toggles to full arm extension and holding them there, you can "take a wrap" on the steering lines - move your hands in a little circle while still holding the toggles so the steering line passes once entirely around your hand, effectively shortening the steering line by several inches. Then when you pull your arms to full extension, you'll be pulling several inches further on the brakes. You'll want to ask your instructors to explain what you need to be aware could go wrong when you do this; many of us know and consider it "no big deal" but young students usually have no more knowledge of these important details than what their instructors tell them.

The instructor(s) is/are there to tell you what you need to know, when you need to know it, and to try and keep you as safe as possible based on how you're progressing and what you need to learn next. Even if it's not as gratifying as posting online and reading.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

...you can "take a wrap" on the steering lines - move your hands in a little circle while still holding the toggles so the steering line passes once entirely around your hand, effectively shortening the steering line by several inches. Then when you pull your arms to full extension, you'll be pulling several inches further on the brakes.

That's really stupid!

Why "tie your hands" and try to make a situation where you might end up cutting away?
If you want to try to stall your canopy and it doesn't work just by pulling the brakes all the way down, do the "shortening" of the steering lines some other way than making the steering lines go around your hand.

Once again, please be careful what kind of advice you give here...

What would your advice be for this student?

Could be a really lightly loaded canopy set up for a student so it WON'T stall...

A 'student' really shouldn't be 'taking wraps' in order to possibly put the canopy into a spin. Bad JuJu.

...I've noticed some students 'claim' to be at full arm extension, which in their mind they are, but their arms are all the way out to their sides...a right angle from the torso. Full extension means full travel on the toggle, which is elbows in next to the body and hands down toward the leg straps.

You can get a few more inches of travel a couple of ways...neither I would recommend for a student.

One is to run the whole toggle under your palm with the line coming through your middle fingers...you are pushing down on the top of the soft toggle assembly as a whole unit...gives 5-6 more inches.

Another is to switch hands / toggles...right hand on left toggle etc. and pull down making and X in front of you with the steering lines...

again...neither method is recommend for a less than 'expert' canopy driver.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Word of warning:

I know someone that over heard experienced jumpers talk about "taking wraps" and did it himself on landing.

End result:

A broken back and out of the sport for good.

So, my advice is this: If you have to take wraps to land a parachute, then there is something wrong with the parachute and i suggest you have it checked out by a rigger, or ask your CCI for advice.
Some dream of flying, i live the dream...

At full arm extension I could not stall it.

This is strange. I am flying Tri 190 with the same wing loading as yours. And I can stall it with full arm extension (and this means FULL). It does not stall immediately though.
Did you try to stall it with rear risers?

Also in a hard turn or riser stall the slider went past the bumpers and almost in my face. Is that normal?

You may want to show your canopy to your rigger, and ask about it. On Tri 190 I never had slider in my face, neither from hard turns nor from riser stall.

Can somebody that has flown this canopy give me some landing tips?

In my case I had 2-stage flare landings too when I had 16 jumps on square. But in 10 following jumps it somehow transformed to normal flare. My understanding was that 2-stage flare came from flaring too high, in my case it transformed to flaring too low (had to walk several steps having some forward speed), but now it looks much better - most landings are relatively soft and stand-up. Just get used to it.

There are several posts about it. You may want to check this thread too:
http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2202636
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

I was able to stall with the risers and with to toggles at full it seems like the canopy is just about to stall. Other than my first jump on it my landings have been good and my last jump I landed 20 feet from my target. Even had a more experienced guy compliment it. I like to tell myself it was more than luck