CornishChris

Pointless theoretical question

There used to a little hop-flight plane that ran between St. Louis and Quincy. On the flight back, 30 of the 36 had rigs that they put under the seat.

The nervous glances of the non-jumpers were interesting.

With some power, an airliner might be able to sustain flight long enough to get your rig out of a gear bag under the seat.

An airliner which loses power will probably go nose down and have the glide aspect of a bowling ball.
(All my airplane experience is as a passenger. Pure conjecture.)

Getting the door to open at 200-300mph is probably a testy event. (Later, swear that you were pushed against your will.)

Don't forget to unhook the inflatable slide first, deploying that as ya open the door could confuse things...myth busters showed ya can maybe make it down on one. :ph34r:

I had a similar question posed to me after that Hawaiian Airlines 737 "Tan While Ya Land" flight lost part of the roof, making 1st class 'patio seating' and sucking out a flight attendant...

Don't know about getting a rig on in time, but if I were to find myself in freefall with a couple of other passengers...I would definitely do a quick round, transitioning to a rodeo...stacking as many under me as possible! :ph34r:

Why not do a raft dive while you're at it.:ph34r:
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Why not do a raft dive while you're at it.:ph34r:

Cuz he's too old to remember more than 2 points. Memory is the third thing to go

dare I ask what the first 2 are?[:/]
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

You could always put your rig on and run up and down the aisle screaming 'we're all gonna die!!!!!':):o:D:ph34r:

Knowing my luck there would be a touring football team on board and I would get my ass kicked into next year.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

You could always put your rig on and run up and down the aisle screaming 'we're all gonna die!!!!!':):o:D:ph34r:

Or just start suiting up in the middle of the flight and act like your trying to get the emergency door open.
“Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier than helping someone move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load his shit into a truck.”

Which would be good as it would mean you wouldn't be able to exit until c. 8000 feet which, I vaguely recall, is the height they are pressurised at. If you went out too high you could end up hypoxic and you wouldn't be able to tell the altitude very accurately (other than using Mark one eyeball).

Good point though...

I think another good point, and one probably more inportant would be, if I was there also with my rig, what exit would we do.. I think an unlinked head down, then perhaps you transition to your feet and we perform a double spock.. then maybe some carving!!
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

"An airliner which loses power will probably go nose down and have the glide aspect of a bowling ball.
(All my airplane experience is as a passenger. Pure conjecture.)"
===============================
One did lose power, over Canada in 1983.

It made a 12 to 1 glide ratio over the ground. Westbound.

It makes sense that if something is going to go that fast, it has to be pretty slippery.

Here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

I'd probably do exactly as I was told.

The last thing the cabin crew would need in an emergency situation is some yahoo following a (probably suicidal) procedure that definitely doesn't feature anywhere in the pre-flight safety demonstration. Even if you made it, that would definitely be the end of any calm among the remaining passengers. :o

And if the plane is obviously too stricken for a survivable crash - well, good luck peeling yourself off the floor or ceiling, never mind getting a door open. ;)