freefallfreak

Never ever thought I'd ever see this ship again

The military channel is now showing the first dive on the USS Oriskany (CVA-34). It was my first duty station in Viet Nam and in 2006 was sunk to be used as a reef in the Gulf of Mexico 22 miles off the coast of Pensacola. I'm now seeing videos of the fire that took 44 lives of my shipmates. Talking about flashbacks...wow...Well, at least it hasn't been forgotten like so many great warships have been.

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

Hey buddy,

My condolences to you and all the loved ones of your fallen shipmates. I know it's been many years now, but I didn't know you then and could not wish my condolences.

Have a good night and a great tomorrow.:)

Hey Chris,

Good to hear from you. Yeah, you are right. It's been many years but somehow watching that special made it seem like only yesterday. I even recognized some of the places that they swam into. There was an escalator that ran from the flight deck down three decks and I can remember like it was yesterday the dare I took once by sitting down on the handrail and sliding down it. Man, that thing was long and fast, lol. I didn't see anyone that I knew but I'll never forget the fire and the horror of the screams of trapped men and the smell of burnt/burning flesh. Whew...too much info so I'll stop here.

Later, man and take care of yourself.

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."