skymedic

OS X 10.5 Time Machine Question...

So I finally decided I should set up Time Machine and back up all my crap on the iMac. Do you guys know if I can use the same Ext. HD for both my macbook and iMac? Also It is FUCKING SLOW!!!! I'm using USB 2.0 Maxtor 500gig Ext. HD. is it supposed to be so slow? I've seem to heard on other boards this is the thing it does first time around.how are your experiences so far?

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

I usually stick to lurking around here, but seeing as none of the other Mac geeks have replied yet...
Yes, you can use the same external for both, as long as they are both intel Macs. You might want to check this article out: http://www.tuaw.com/2007/11/07/things-that-make-time-machine-cranky/
It talks about some things that can screw with time machine. Also, if you're using Aperature, that doesn't get along well with time machine.
Why does it say "Append signature to post" when I don't have a signature?

It seemed to take quite a while to do the first backup but after it has been running for a while it is very quick to go back and retrieve files from the past. I have a 500gb Western Digital drive that I am connecting with FW400.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

how are your experiences so far?

I am a bit skeptical still. I was unable to get it to recognize a brand new WD 1tb hard drive, which I ended up returning. I got it to recognize a Hitachi 1 tb Hard drive but only after I had dug around on the Mac forums and did the repartition/GUID suggestion mentioned here. TM backed my system up rather quickly(compared to what I have read on the mac forums) the first go around. It has been doing back ups regularly since I got it working. The only thing I am seeing now is that the external HD is disconnecting every so often and I get the device removal warning screen. As soon as I hit OK, the HD spins up and the external is mounted.

I'm expecting to see this addressed in an update some time down the road as I had really just expected to have to plug an external HD into the computer, turn TM on and have it work. Seems others are having USB/Firewire issues with it as well as with certain Hard drives.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Interesting. I have had no issues like any of the ones you just described. I am using a 500gb WD MyBook Premium Edition as my Time Machine volume.

I also have a 1tb Lacie drive connected and no issues at all with them disconnecting, etc.

They are hooked up to a MacBook with a Firewire 400 hub.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey