CanuckInUSA

When is a Whuffo no longer a Whuffo

So when is a Whuffo no longer a Whuffo?

1) After their first tandem jump?

2) After their first AFF/Static jump?

3) When they are off student status?

Enquiring minds want to know ... :o

What is you take a break from skydiving. Are you a whuffo while you are on break?
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

I realize this is an old thread, but somebody bumped it and I'm glad they did. Your response really resonates with me. When I did my tandem, I had no clue about the risks involved with skydiving, despite the video and waiver. When I landed I knew once was not enough. Within a few hours, I was calling the DZ to find out about lessons. Then I started learning everything I could. I found dropzone.com and read more and more. Even in the short time I've been involved, I've seen the sorrow and losses. When I made my first AFF jump a week and a half ago, I did it knowing much, much more about the risks and my responsibility for my own safety. ANd now, when I look at the sky, I can hardly wait to jump again. Pat
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

I had an epiphany about this today. I was using Google Earth for work and decided to look up our local dz. As I was zooming in and out on the runway, I looked at my screen and thought, "Hmmm, that looks WELL over 12,500' AGL. I wonder what altitude that would be?" I don't know when it happened, but I think that's strong evidence for leaving my Whuffo taint behind.
TPM Sister #102

Talk about an old threads. I was three weeks and maybe 10 jumps into the sport when this thread was started.

Are you a whuffo while you are on break?

In most cases "no". But I don't know? What do I know anymore? Not much. All I know is that the weather temperature outside has been fridged in the -15 to -20 range for the last week with no sign that this arctic blast of winter will be letting up anytime soon. Plus when it does warm up enough to jump, it costs me about $34/jump to hurl myself out of a Cessna (if I can even get on the Cessna) and at least 50% if not more of my income goes to one form of tax or another.

I don't believe I am a whuffo (if that is what you are implying), but I sure as hell am not the same skydiver I was 2-3 years ago. Things were so much easier back then. From a skydiving point of view it sucks to live in Canada, especially during our cold winter months. I should visit FL or AZ soon. :|

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

:)
I belive this post has turned into two distinct issues.

A Wuffo is no longer a Wuffo after that first tandem skydive. If they don't understand why we skydive after their first tandem, well then they certainly have some mental deficency.

Defining what constitutes a skydiver on the other hand certainly is a different issue and open to debate.

Streaker

:ph34r:
Have a yippee ki ya day!

You don't have to "do it" to "get it"... and not to mention that there are whuffo's for every activity... there are some skydiving whuffo's out there that don't get it when it comes to other things.

You got it!

As to what defines a skydiver, I'm not sure.
I finally got my A in the mail this week and am steadily progressing toward my B. Yet I'm still thinking of myself as a "student", not a skydiver. There is still so much to learn.. In my opinion, fulfilling a set of minimal requirements has got little to do with it.

edited for clarity and grammar
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I agree.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

My friend who turned me on to skydiving (actually it was something I had wanted to do for a long time, but I guess like many, I needed a gentle nudge in the right direction) gave me a Legion Entrangere badge, patch, and a set of USPA wings (which I did not pin on until after I earned my "A" ticket, btw) for my SECOND jump, because, he said, "Now you know better." :D:SB|

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

What if I have been away for a few years?

I don't know. You tell me. I am going to guess and say "no". But this is a 5 1/2 year old thread and I was only in the sport 3 weeks and had 10-12 jumps at the time it was started. Who knows why someone decided to go searching deep into the DZ.COM archives for it and resurrect it.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over