skydiver007

Does anyone know this company...?

Couple questions:

1. Do you know about the company? It's a serious question as I'm shocked how many people don't bother to research companies they interview for.

2. What seems fishy?

3. If you have nothing better to do and need work, what could be the harm in just going and checking it out?
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

research? f that.

You should be asking as many questions of them as they ask of you.

Doing your research and knowing something about them demonstrates that you're someone who likes knowing what's going on and is willing to do the work to find out. That's a skill that would impress them, and improve your odds of getting the job.

If this is a structured interview (which is by far the most commun type of interview done when its properly prepared), then the applicant wont be asking too many questions. The goal of an interview for the company is to learn as much as possible about the applicant. Having them ask alot of questions leads to the interviewers talking too much.

It happens, but its not the best way to select an employee.
Remster

research? f that.

Doing your research and knowing something about them demonstrates that you're someone who likes knowing what's going on and is willing to do the work to find out. That's a skill that would impress them, and improve your odds of getting the job.

Couldn't say it any better than that. I've gotten a few jobs just by surprising interviewers with how much I knew about their companies.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It happens, but its not the best way to select an employee.

You're saying that allowing the applicants to ask a lot of questions is NOT the best way to select an employee?

I would disagree with that - I learn a lot about the person by the questions they ask and the knowledge /curiosity they display about the company and the industry. I rarely expect an interview to go the way of interviewer asks question/candidate answers ... repeat. I conduct mine much more like a conversation, regardless of which side of the table I was on.

To the original poster - if you were looking for a job as a consultant with me, if you came in 100% ignorant of what we do and what the company's all about, I wouldn't recommend you for a job. Consulting is all about client service, and client service is all about learning about someone else's business so you can understand what problems they're trying to solve (and in the long run, sell more business to that client). If you can't do that yourself when you're trying to sell your services to me (which is really what a job interview is, isn't it?) then I can only assume you won't do it for my clients, either.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yep. Thats what I'm saying.

As far as conducting what I'd call a full-on interview, then the best way to learn about an applicant is to get them to talk. Not to allow them to make you talk.

And no, its not just from one of my classes... We're using Structured Interviews focusing only on behavioral questions (we dont use situational ones since its easy to BS an intervew by saying what they expect you to say) where I work too, and I've research quite a bit on them. They really do give the best results.
Remster

Behavioral questions rock... I used to thank my really bad teammates in business school because they gave me plenty to talk about in interviews.

"Tell me about a time when you worked with someone who didn't pull their weight..."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I got the job!!!B| (I did do the research...thx guys)

They are paying me a descent salary and get to live in atlanta + lots of travel involved across Europe and Canada.

I might get another offer with lots of travel involved. I think I'm going to wait it out and pick the best one.

Now..whats cool about atlanta and why should I move there?

I got the job!!!B| (I did do the research...thx guys)

They are paying me a descent salary and get to live in atlanta + lots of travel involved across Europe and Canada.

I might get another offer with lots of travel involved. I think I'm going to wait it out and pick the best one.

Now..whats cool about atlanta and why should I move there?

There are a lot of postwhores on here who live in and around Atlanta... Great folks. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban