McDuck

Christopher Moore...anyone read his books?

I picked up "Practical Demonkeeping", "A Dirty Job" and "Lamb" this past weekend (mainly because I was immediately enamored of the basis and tone of "Lamb" from the jacket) and I finished "Practical Demonkeeping" in one day. That's how much I'm loving Moore's quirky, satirical style of writing. I swear, it's almost as if he's laughing his ass off while writing these books, they're that much fun to read. I'm in the middle of "A Dirty Job" right now, and I'm finding it to be the perfect mix of satire, genuine emotional chaos and quirky humor.

I plan on picking up "You Suck: A Love Story" and "The Stupidest Angel" next, along with "Coyote Blue". I was curious to see if anyone else reads his work and what your thoughts are regarding his style.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I picked up "Practical Demonkeeping", "A Dirty Job" and "Lamb" this past weekend (mainly because I was immediately enamored of the basis and tone of "Lamb" from the jacket) and I finished "Practical Demonkeeping" in one day. That's how much I'm loving Moore's quirky, satirical style of writing. I swear, it's almost as if he's laughing his ass off while writing these books, they're that much fun to read. I'm in the middle of "A Dirty Job" right now, and I'm finding it to be the perfect mix of satire, genuine emotional chaos and quirky humor.

I plan on picking up "You Suck: A Love Story" and "The Stupidest Angel" next, along with "Coyote Blue". I was curious to see if anyone else reads his work and what your thoughts are regarding his style.

I've listened to most of them on audiobook. Lamb was fucking hysterical. I've got it on my iPod and have listened to it a couple of times now. I've been meaning to find the whale one, and don't think I've heard of Coyote Blue. He has a bunch of recurring characters, including several between You Suck and Dirty Job (and one other IIRC).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I read, and loved, Lamb. But I have not been able to fall in love with any of his other stuff quite as hard. I will, however, always have a hard-on for Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. :D

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I've been meaning to find the whale one, and don't think I've heard of Coyote Blue.

You must mean "Fluke; or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings". I want that one too.

Coyote Blue is one of his earlier books, and I'm interested in that one for other reasons...;)
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC

I read, and loved, Lamb. But I have not been able to fall in love with any of his other stuff quite as hard. I will, however, always have a hard-on for Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. :D

I couldn't remember if it was you that asked me, before the holidays, if I had read anything by him. I TRIED to verify with you yesterday, but you T-cubed-H'd* me on MSN yesterday. :P

* Talk to the hand

I couldn't remember if it was you that asked me, before the holidays, if I had read anything by him. I TRIED to verify with you yesterday, but you T-cubed-H'd* me on MSN yesterday. :P

* Talk to the hand

Sorry, you caught me at the beginning of TDFH* ... which came about partly because I stayed home sick Monday so everything I cleared from my schedule on Monday got rescheduled for Tuesday on top of Tuesday's already-booked meetings ... starting with my annual review at 8 - meetings straight through till 2:30, then fighting IT problems the rest of the day. :S

* Since we're in acronym-speak, The Day From Hell:P
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Do you remember which of his books you read?

I LOVE Christopher Moore, I've read all of his books except Lamb (which they don't have at the crappy library in my town in New Zealand, and books are way too expensive to buy here). My favorites are Fluke, Blooksucking Fiends, and The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove. Lust Lizard is probably my all-time favorite. You just can't beat a title like that. You're right, it's obvious that he has the greatest time writing these books. Hope you enjoy his others!

"Perhaps she saw before her a lifetime of walking on the ruined earth and chose instead a single moment in the air." -Carolyn Parkhurst

I love the premise for Lust Lizard, so it's now on my list. In fact, I love this guy's writing so much that I'm forced to buy every book he's written to see if he falters at any point in his career. I'm working my way steadily through Dirty Job, and I don't think I've gone more than five minutes without laughing out loud.

One thing I've noticed about his style is that he seems to have a lock on dialogue between characters. That's something my writing has always been hindered by. I guess his work prior to becoming an author gave him an incredible insight into human interactions. Plus, I'd be willing to bet he's one of the few truly self-aware people alive today. His characters always seem to have something that you can relate to, even if you don't agree with their choices or story arc. Writing like that takes enough suppression of ego to see yourself in each of the characters, no matter how big or small in relation to the story.

Honestly? It seems to me as if you can jump in anywhere. The few characters that cross over might jump back and forth between employment and life status, but it won't disrupt the flow of the books.

If you're looking for an instant laugh, try either "A Dirty Job" or "Lamb", as those two seem to have to power to ensnare readers after only a few pages. B|

Hopefully those choices will spark your reading interest. If not, I'll gladly argue with you incessantly about why your perceptions are skewed until I can effectively feign disinterest in the whole ordeal. B|:D

Seriously, though, his writing really reached me, but I had to suspend my ego to truly appreciate it fully.