Twoply

Green goopy eye discharge on my son Help!

My 3 year old caught the tail end of my flu and now has this bright green gooey discharge from his eyes.
My wife called the doctor and they just prescribed some eye drops that are for a bacterial infection.
Anyone with experience with this?

Eye ailments scare me. Especially in my kids

Warning! I am not a doctor!!!!

The only time my children had a green discharge from their eyes was from a sinus infection that drained through their tear ducts. Yeah, kind of gross but it has happened a few times.

Did the doctor see him before prescribing something?

My two youngest kiddos have had similar "eye goop" before. One had a clogged tear duct and the other was just sinus infection that caused eye drainage/goop. Both times the doctor prescribed an antibiotic ointment that went directly in the eye and didn't seem to bother/sting/burn either one of the kids. It cleared up pretty quickly. But, my doctor did actually physically examine both before prescribing the med. Good luck, I'm sure all will be fine.

My 3 year old caught the tail end of my flu and now has this bright green gooey discharge from his eyes.
My wife called the doctor and they just prescribed some eye drops that are for a bacterial infection.
Anyone with experience with this?

Eye ailments scare me. Especially in my kids

They are aliens and it is time for them to molt.
Perfectly normal.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

First, go to an EYE doctor for an EYE problem. If the doc doesn't have a slit lamp, he's just guessing what's wrong.

If he has your flu, and his sinuses are plugged up, the sinuses are connected to the eyes via the tear ducts... that's where tears go, into your sinuses then down the back of your throat. Sickness can cause a backup in the system, so what used to go down, now comes up.

To make his life easier and gross you out less, get some baby shampoo and a hot washcloth, have him close his eyes, and gently clean along the eyelashes with the baby shampoo/washcloth. That will help get rid of the nasty gooiness and since his eyes are closed and the baby shampoo is mild anyway, it won't hurt him.

If your recent flu was bacterial, chances are the eye infection is too, and the drops will help (and nasty green crap is usually bacterial). If your recent flu was viral, chances are this is too. Either way, it's really gross, but not vision threatenting :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Yes, a couple of years ago right after cleaning out a cooler that had been sitting with water in it. Within a few hours my eyes were red and watery and that night I had all kinds of crap coming out of my eyes. I was at a DZ in my camper and got up several time that night to clean out my eyes. One was worst than the other.By the middle of the next day they were looking better. I didn't go to the doctor, by Monday then were clear.