Broke

Wildland Firefighters?

So is there anyone here who is currently a wildland firefighter?

I am taking the class at work, and they say that there is a chance that when we get our national certifications that we could go out west for a 2-week assignment durring wildfire seasion. They also said that since I am an EMT that my chances of heading out is better than those who are not.

So anyone know of some good boots 8-10 inch with a lug sole and no safety toe that would be good?

Any interesting stories would be appreciated too
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I work for a structure department that has a wildland team that goes out every season. I would suggest buying Nicks or Whites boots, they are expensive ($300-400) but when your work depends on your feet any price is worth paying. Remember to purchase your boots well before the season, the last place you want to break in your boots is on a fire. If you don't you will get to know the joys of moleskinB| It is true if you have your current National registry EMT-Basic or above you can single resource out to fires a lot faster. Good luck and maybe I will run into next season!:)

"How high are we? Man I need to poop"

I just went through the course. Go to wal-mart and you can buy some cheap boots there. Make sure they are all leather, no steel toe, and come up high on your leg. They will first analyze your boots when you get there and make you buy new ones if you have any mesh on them. I found some for about $40.00 at wal-mart that came in a yellow box. A little uncomfortable, but they did the job!

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

I wouldn't do it for a full time gig, but I wouldn't mind burning some vacation time while on a two week assignment. Also I figure it is a good thing to have in case I decide to move to another state. It could be an interm job.

Also the main problem with wally world boots is I have wide feet, and wally world don't carry wide boots
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Try firecache.com for Nicks boots. I use them and the can be rebuilt for a life time. I love going out on fires, it is hard work but I now look at it as a paid vacation! Life got a lot better when I got off the fire line and onto an engine, less hiking and better view of the fires. The friends you make on these fires will last your lifetime. Be careful out there. Big difference between structure side and wildland side of things. I am so used to hurry up and get things done, to going to the wildland side of hurry up and wait .....A lot.
"How high are we? Man I need to poop"

I've been on the job for 3 years now. For the last year I've been on a prescribed fire crew working for The Nature Conservancy. It's awesome being able to spend half the year starting fires and the other half a year putting them out.

If you are really only going to be doing it now and then paying the price for Nicks or Whites is probably a little overboard. It's true that they will last and can be rebuilt, but it will be tough to get your money's worth if you don't ever use them enough to make it worth it. The federal requirement is 8", all leather with vibram/non slip soles. You can get all sorts of boots out there (Red Wings, Danners or any number of others) that will be comfortable. The main thing is to buy something that is right for you, not just what everyone else is getting.

Folks are always happy to have an EMT around, and if you find that you really like it and want to put in some more time getting fire experience there are opportunities to go out with crews specifically as an EMT/Paramedic. Check out www.paramedicsunlimited.com.

Check into what type of prescribed fire work is done locally also. You can get all sorts of great experience working with a crew on prescribed fire and do what you can to see about local suppression activities. It's possible (and often probable depending on what type of crew you go out on) to head out west and never actually see fire. Crews head out and dig all sorts of fire line or spend two weeks mopping up miles from the current flame front. Getting in on the prescribed fire will get you the chance for some up close and personal time to really start to understand fire effects, etc.

Be sure to check out http://www.wildlandfire.com/. Lots of great info. There is a great post/article on there called "So you want to be a wildland firefighter..." It's worth finding it and reading through.

If you won't be working for a federal agency make sure to make a connection with the closest agency and get to know them a bit. Someone will have to actually pick you up as an AD firefighter and it helps if you have someone "in the know" to help you through the process.

Good luck, have fun, and mind your LCES!!!

jason.
Killing threads since 2004.

One more boot suggestion...

You might also check out La Sportiva. Their Glacier and Makalu (sp?) boots meet the requirements and tons of people are wearing them now. They are lightweight and waterproof and cheap in comparison to others at $200 or so. I have a pair that I love for flat land work, but for me they leave a little to be desired in regard to ankle support in steeper terrain. Piles and piles of folks are wearing them out west though and I have 3 friends on shot crews that swear by them. For me the most impressive thing about them is that they felt completely broken in within an hour or two of putting them on. You certainly aren't going to find that with more standard fire boots. Worth checking out. Zappos.com had the best price at the time I bought mine.

I just went through the course. Go to wal-mart and you can buy some cheap boots there. Make sure they are all leather, no steel toe, and come up high on your leg. They will first analyze your boots when you get there and make you buy new ones if you have any mesh on them. I found some for about $40.00 at wal-mart that came in a yellow box. A little uncomfortable, but they did the job!

Just be careful with any boot that is "a little uncomfortable" to start with. That becomes "completely unbearable" in a hurry when you are wearing them 16 hours a day two weeks at a time. If you don't have the money up front (trust me, I understand that) make sure to set aside a bit from your first detail or two to invest in something you can count on lasting comfort from.

Be safe!

jason.

edit to quote original message...

Ok, last reply from me tonight, I swear, but one more thing to add...

If you are looking to get out on a few assignments don't just wait for the western season to get hot and heavy. Florida and the southeast in general start blowing up in March and burn hot through May or so as does Texas. I spent the end of March and most of April bouncing around the Southeast on fires that provided lots of up close and personal experience. If you are in Florida contact your local Division of Forestry district office and find out about getting on state emergency hire lists in addition to the fed lists.

I am in NY, and can get on some prescribed burns here for a little experiance, also I have to wait until schols out before I can go out on a assignment. I am doing it for the experiance more than for the money, but that helps too. As I have said previously I have plenty of PTO to burn off.

Thanks for those boot suggestions. However I don't mind the idea of having boots that are custom made for my feet. I wear my boots for more than ust work
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

You can't go wrong with Nick's or White's. I love my White's to death, though I damn near thought I was going to die breaking them in. It was a long process for me, but it is well worth it now. I have a wide foot too, EEE, and having something fit specifically to me was a dream come true.

Look into where The Nature Conservancy has offices or preserves near you. They are usually always looking for extra hands on fire and are usually cool with having volunteers come out on prescribed fire.

Have fun and welcome to a pretty freakin' cool world!

Leather holds up real well, and many of the top end boots truly meant for fire are stitched and laced with kevlar/nomex (fire resistant) materials. Standing in any flame for more than a bit is going to get hot regardless, but the steel toes retain a lot of radiant heat even when working in "warm" areas. Lots of boots still have a hardened toe box as an available option, just not steel.

Don't forget about stepping into an Ash Hole... lol I love saying that

Yeah steel toes will get hot and radiate heat onto your feet. Not a good idea. Composite toe will melt on top of your toes not something I want either
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192