Mostly_Harmless

Safire 149 Problems.

So this weekend I wound up going to Sky's the Limit to try out my near gear. The Safire had some great openings, very consistant. The problem(if it is that) was with the flare. I opened high to play around. At that point I tried to flare like I use to with my Sabre where I pull my toggles all the way down. When I did that it seem like the chute was going to collapse and I got spun almost into a linetwist. So I said forget that. As I was coming in for a landing I tried to flare and it seemed like I barely slow down. Like I said there is a lot of toggle pressure. The last jump I made I tried a two stage flare which seemed to work better. Any ideas?

You told me that you have a line mod for the control lines and I have no experience with that, but here goes.

First check the length of the brake lines. You should have about 2 -3 inches of freeplay in the brakes for front riser use/whatever. Any longer and the brakes will be very unresponsive. Any shorter and you run the risk of deflecting the tail.

Up high do a very hard flare all the way down and you will feel yourself pop up higher in the air. Then do a very slow flare and you wont feel mich change at all.

Somewhere in between those 2 is the amount of flare to just level off. Too much and you pop up, too little and nothing. Practice that until it is muscle memory (the first half of the flare.) Then work on keeping the canopy level by slowly adding input until the canopy is going as slow as it can.

Do that on landing and almost any canopy will land you pretty well.

Like I said I don't know about that mod because the original Safires I jumped never had any problems with flaring.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Thanks Johnny,
I know that there is very little if any slack in the lines when it is deployed, I check for that. Also as I said, if I do a hard flare the canopy goes crazy, my end cells collapse and last time I did it, it just about sent me into some line twist.

It would seem to me that this line mod is pulling too much of the tail down and is stalling the canopy too early.
I would talk to the person you bought it from and see if there is a way to put the original line configuration back on the canopy.

Like I said I don't have any experience with this mod, but it sounds like it's not working well for your canopy.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

>> First check the length of the brake lines. You should have about 2 -3 inches of freeplay in the brakes for front riser use/whatever. Any longer and the brakes will be very unresponsive. Any shorter and you run the risk of deflecting the tail.
<<

2-3 inches seems appropriate for a higher performance canopy.

I tend to think that 5-6 inches is good for a beginner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!