bigway

Inspired by Cspence.

After reading Cspence gripe about the forums he inspired myself to start a thread on sharing recipes.

So here is a good one that you may like to try.

Thanks for the inspiration Spence. I may never have realised how educational and valuable such a thread could be. Boy, we have been missing out on this.

Perfect Lamb Chops.
Lamb chops deluxe
This take on a classic is worthy of any fine-dining affair. Use Flinders Island lamb, if available.

Serves 4

Cooking Time Prep time 15 mins, cook 20 mins

1 (about 950gm) piece of lamb short loin, bone-in and untrimmed (see note)
8 thin slices of flat pancetta
6 stalks of rosemary, leaves removed and coarsely chopped
½ bunch of sage, coarsely chopped
4 gm dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in boiling water for 5 minutes, drained and coarsely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
Mint peas and pancetta
20 gm butter
1 onion, finely chopped
100 gm flat pancetta, cut into batons
350 gm (800gm unpodded) podded peas
125 ml (½ cup) white wine
250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock
½ bunch of round mint, leaves picked

1 Open out the flap (apron) of the short loin flat on a work surface with the bone side closest to you. Place pancetta, overlapping slightly, along the apron and scatter herbs and porcini evenly over. Roll away from you to enclose filling and form a cylinder. Cut through the bone where the butcher has made an incision (see note) to create 4 large round chops. Secure each with a toothpick and tie a piece of kitchen string around to hold.
2 Preheat oven to 200C. Heat a chargrill pan over high heat, brush lamb with oil and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden, then transfer to an oven tray and roast for 10-12 minutes for medium-rare.
3 Meanwhile, for mint peas and pancetta, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add onion and pancetta and cook for 5-6 minutes or until soft, add peas, stir to combine, then deglaze with wine. Add stock and cook for 5 minutes or until peas are soft. Add mint, stir to combine and serve with lamb.

Note The short loin is a primal cut taken from the hind section of the lamb where the rib section ends. Ask your butcher to cut partially through the bone at 4 even intervals. This will make it easier to roll.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

After reading Cspence gripe about the forums he inspired myself to start a thread on sharing recipes.

You know, one of the things that no one mentioned in all of the threads griping about the signal to noise ratio in the Bonfire, but that I think is a big contributing factor is ... reposts:).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Funny that you should mention lamb. A group of us that went to the PIA symposium in Barcelona recently ate at a very nice restaurant called 7 portes that had the most savory lamb dishes. The best part, neither of the 2 dishes smothered the lamb to give it it's taste. I am not a huge lamb fan but as far as lamb goes, they have a very tasty lamb menu. Just thought I'd share that with all you lamb fans in case you find yourself in Barcelona one day.:)

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING