AggieDave

Car audio questions

I don't want to thump rattle and roll, I just want smooth, clean, crisp audio in my old air-cooled VW. I'm looking at putting two 6x9s in the rear shelf and two 6 1/2s up front.

I'm also looking at head units that have native Ipod compatibility (with adapter cables for the head unit). I have no clue as for the speakers, for the head unit there's a couple of JVCs I've been looking at that are around $100. I'm wanting to keep the total cost under $400 for the speakers and stereo. Any reply that involves subwoofers over 10" in diameter will be immediately dismissed since a booming base system would cause me to eat my pistol. Literally. Piece by piece with a knife and fork probably covered in A-1 sauce to mask the real taste.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have two Pioneer speakers up front that I think are 5 inches each, then two Roadmaster 6 1/2 inch subwoofers in the back powered by a Road Gear (I think) 80W amp. Bought everything at a bargain outlet for cheap and it really sounds good, makes for a good balance of bass and treble.

The CD player I bought from Wal-Mart for $40 bucks, just some no-name brand like durabrand I think.

As far as brands go, I think Pioneer is the best for your money, but I'm not an audio guru.

you get what you pay for....400.00 is not gonna get you loud clean crisp sound if you have to include a head unit. a good head alone is over 200.00 then you will need a good 4 channel amplfier. you speakers are the least thing to concern yourself with as they are the least in price and dont change the quality near as much.

I was in sound quality competitions for years when i was younger. you can have a system set up in your car and change out the your head unit 3 or 4 times with different brands and notice a huge different in the sound that is produced, so go listen to a few at your local high-fi buys or what not, then purchase, that first is the important part, sonys are not that good and will not play cds with scratchs very well, pioneer will play alomst a broken cd but doesnt have crisp sounds, alpine is very good on both, Kenwood is cheaper and has a million models and is an average head unit. Pick one that siuts you.
Amps, you will need one with a biuld in crossover you cant rely on your head unit, even if is says so. For your needs get a 4 x 75 4channel 300 watt max amp or as low as a 4 x 35 150 watt max amp. dont go cheap here either the lower line amps clip notes and allow speaker whine thru low quality components, Jl audio makes very good quality amps and speaker but you have to pay for em, talk with your rep about sales maybe or a decent quality competition amp, your looking at about 200 here too. Speakers are for 6x9 and 6.5's I assume you will be getting coaxle's for full range of notes, again listen to a few the speakers you choose will not have a drastic change in sound but what you pay for is strenth and durablity, listening at loud volume will take a toll on amplified speakers take that to mind.
I hope this helped!
"Before we waste time talking and getting to know each other, let's just have sex once and see if we're compatible"

Remember, this is going into a high performance air cooled VW. No AC, loud engine and not much in the way of insulation. So I'm not wanting the audiophile version, something in between.;)

Where are you planning on putting the 6.5's? Does your vw have door speakers now? If not you can get kick plate mounts for them up front. When i drove a '68, i removed the rear seat, and had amps, crossovers, and speaker boxes in the back with room to spare for carrying stuff. I had 10" subs and could pound the bass if i wanted or listen to loud and fast rock all with good sound. At that time i was running kenwood amps, kenwood speakers, and an alpine deck.B| Van Halen's hot for teacher sounded really cool pulling into the parking lot of high school, 18 years ago!:DB|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I'm leaving the back seat in this time, so the 6.5s are going on a speaker shelf over the luggage area of the back seat. There's plenty of room for amps and such under there too.

I thought about in the door, but was worried about air space. Those doors are only about 3" thick. I was thinking about the quarter kicker panels, but was worried about loosing that space for my feet. I don't like having to keep my feet narrow. So I'm still at a loss as to exactly where I'm going to put those.

I start building the engine on Monday, so I've got a little bit of time. Probably in the neighborhood of a month until the car is driving under its own power. Either way I still want to put a new wiring harness in the car, so I'm more then sure that'll take a little while.

'73 SuperBeetle. I'm putting a 75amp Alternator in there this time, ditching the stock old generator. I didn't like the headlights changing brightness when I rev'ed the engine.:o