ryoder

Lightning GT - A supercar even BillVon could love

Looks awesome and seems to have a great performance. It doesn't say anything about the distance you can drive with one charge but with the batteries recharged in 10min. I suppose that's less of a problem.

I was very skeptical of the "10 minute" recharge due to the amp-draw required. I read the notes on the website and found that requires a 3-phase industrial-type setup (eg a commercial recharge station). If you are using the single-phase available in the typical home, it is an overnight recharge.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Yeah but if you look at how fast it is growing you can pretty much expect to have the 3-phase setup at gas stations pretty soon so I don't think it will be too much of a concern but I was still wondering how far one charge will last. Homepage doesn't say anything does it?

Yeah but if you look at how fast it is growing you can pretty much expect to have the 3-phase setup at gas stations pretty soon so I don't think it will be too much of a concern but I was still wondering how far one charge will last. Homepage doesn't say anything does it?

250 miles is what I read somewhere.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Looks awesome and seems to have a great performance. It doesn't say anything about the distance you can drive with one charge but with the batteries recharged in 10min.

That's something they probably should have left out of their claims.

Whatever battery technology they have, it simply wouldn't scale so that the current supplied by most homes could support that. At least not without a poo-load of additional gear and even then that sort of current transfer would be amazingly dangerous for home use.

From the Specifications page;

State of the art NanoSafe™ battery packs. 36kw power

So . . . 216kw goes into this thing for 10 minutes and it's fully charged. I'm guessing that's not just a piece of zip cord. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

700 HP.
All-wheel drive.
150,000 (English pounds).

http://www.lightningcarcompany.com/

And does not use petroleum.

Good thing electricity is pulled from the air and doesn't require coal, water (fast becoming less plentiful than oil) or natural gas to produce it. Once these things become more common, we can expect an instant overabundance, of all our natural resources. With the huge increase in demand, electricity is sure to become dirt cheap. [:/]
"T'was ever thus."