ThirdWorldMedic

Q's about MT-1X...

I purchased a MT-1X HALO rig in excellent condition, and I have a few questions for those knowledgeable: #1 The main has a large metal grommet in top center and a corresponding one in the lower cell, what is this for? the slider also has an attachment loop on the topside. #2 the reserve was FAA repacked and was determined to be a "5" cell at 370 sqft, what implications does that present performance-wise?

I purchased a MT-1X HALO rig in excellent condition, and I have a few questions for those knowledgeable: #1 The main has a large metal grommet in top center and a corresponding one in the lower cell, what is this for? the slider also has an attachment loop on the topside. #2 the reserve was FAA repacked and was determined to be a "5" cell at 370 sqft, what implications does that present performance-wise?

I have never seen it on a MT1-X canopy, but what you are describing sounds like the set up for pilot chute reefed slider.

The 5 cell canopies are MT1-S and they are 270 sq. ft.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Sounds like a MC-4/ 5 series canopy since the MT1-1xx did not have the reefing system near the pilot chute attaching points.

Is the container Gray or is it green??

Some where even made in Black...
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

Sounds like a MC-4/ 5 series canopy

The MC4/5 7 cell canpoy does NOT have a reefing system on it.

Some where even made in Black

and some were made out of CAMO material as well
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hello,

this sounds like a MC4 set up. It should fly just as well as if not better then the Mt1 series. First get your lic. if you have not already done so then once that is done try to get a few jumps on it.

I found that the Mt1 requires alot of input (as far as arm strength) to get it to move unlike my Manta but I guess its like a Tandem rig...HAHAHA. As as far as getting you on the ground and where you want to go, it cant be bet.

But these rigs are overbuilt for sport jumping....

Has this rig been inspected by a FAA rigger?

Do you have or will you place an AAD in this rig?

I personally do not know why they placed the holes near the pilot chute attaching points unless it was for another purpose later on through its life or just to be able to tell the differences between a Mt1 or a MC4. I have both the Mti and MC4. Both pack the same and fly that way also except the risers on the MC4 are a bit longer, meaning more span.

Hope that this helps you.
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

I personally do not know why they placed the holes near the pilot chute attaching points unless it was for another purpose later on through its life or just to be able to tell the differences between a Mt1 or a MC4.

The MC-4/MC-5 is a container system. The MT1-X/MT1-S are canopies used in both new and older systems. The MT1-X is a 370 sq. ft. 7 cell and the MT1-S is a 270 sq. ft. 5 cell.

The hole near the base of the pilot chute is for the closing loop to pass through the pilot chute on a one pin system.

Sparky

If the container is black or gray it was made for Navy Spec. Opps

The Army also used containers in those colors. Some of the early ones were black but most were gray.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I was told that those holes are part of the static line set up. My MC-4's have them

The Static line version is the MC5 and it does not have any holes on the canopy or slider as described by the poster. The MC5 can be coverted to an MC4 simply by removing the Static line assisted D bag and packed with a normal D bag and spring loaded pilot chute. If your container has material loops sewn to the outboard edges of the packtray it is an MC5. Those material loops are for rubber bands to hold the static line just like every other static line set up.If it has no material loops, its not a MC5, its a 4. There are also MC5s with a 2 pin main closure system. The grommets/holes in the canopy described are not standard military features. My guess is that someone made a modification to the canopy after it was de-milled. Pictures of this modification would be nice.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

>Can anyone tell me about what to expect, performance-wise from a 5 cell? I am curious.

I learned to skydive under a DC-5, a 5 cell 300 sq ft square canopy. They were fairly porous, and the performance could best be described as a combination of a round (think Navy conical) and a large ram-air. They had little forward drive and a steep glide angle, and response to toggles was very slow. Flare didn't slow descent much but did slow forward speed. At best it was good practice for jumping higher aspect ratio canopies later.

The canopy you are describing is likely less porous, but will not perform (at least in terms of glide or flare) like a 7-cell reserve. Think of a detuned 7 cell in terms of flare and turn performance.

Yes.
I spent a summer dropping static-line students with DC-5s.
I concluded that they did not flare much better than Para-Commanders.
Those silver DC-5s were actually from a production over-run on 270 square foot, 5-cell military reserves. Even with a pair of extra steering lines added after fact, flaring did not reduce their vertical descent rate significantly.
At least DC-5s were more reliable than Para-Commanders!

Yes.
I spent a summer dropping static-line students with DC-5s.
I concluded that they did not flare much better than Para-Commanders.
Those silver DC-5s were actually from a production over-run on 270 square foot, 5-cell military reserves. Even with a pair of extra steering lines added after fact, flaring did not reduce their vertical descent rate significantly.
At least DC-5s were more reliable than Para-Commanders!

The big 5 cells, DC-5/MT1-S, were Paraflites attempt to make a 5 cell that had an aspect ratio close to a 7 cell. They did this with the "span" construction.

Sparky