dimbohall

Opinion on used rig I'm looking at (Vector III/Sabre 150)

Hi,

Just wanted to see what the general opinion would be about buying a 1998 vector III with sabre (1) 150 and Tempo 150 reserve. + AAD 1998

My main interest is freefly - this setup should be good right?

Are the latest Vector III's very different from the 1998 models?

How much would you pay for this rig?

Thanks all.

We need to know how many jumps on the canopies and rig. Where was it jumped (desert, beach, grass...), etc. Has it been in storage? What you really need to do is get it inspected by a trusted rigger. But if you give us more info we will try to help.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I have a used Vector 3 from '97 and the only differences I can see from the newer 3M is no little pocket for the reserve pin tip (and they're already broken in so they're more comfortable and easier to pack). They appear to be just as secure and freefly friendly as the newer Vector 3M.
I bet if you asked Bill Booth he could tell you all the wonderful upgrades that were made between those versions of the rig.

What options are on the container - ie harness rings, stainless hardware, RSL, kill line main p/c, hacky? Assuming it has rings and a kill line p/c w/hacky, I'd figure the container to be worth around $1000-1100. Tempo 150 w/no jumps - $400-500. Sabre 150 w/ 250 jumps - $600-700. Cypres - d.o.m. 1998 and it's been in storage for two years = it probably needs an 8 year and batteries ($300+). It's worth about $500 if the work hasn't been done, about $800 if it has.

So I'd figure around $2500-$2800 for the complete rig to be fair pricing.

The Vector 3 is very freefly friendly.

Hi,

Just wanted to see what the general opinion would be about buying a 1998 vector III with sabre (1) 150 and Tempo 150 reserve. + AAD 1998

Unless I wanted a cheap spare canopy and the price was right (under $350 with only a couple hundred jumps on the line set) I would not buy a sabre or Monacrh. Newer designs have more pleasant openings, slower stall speeds, and are more fun to fly.

I would not buy a Tempo 150 made before 2001 to use for freefly because the older Tempos lack span-wise reinforcing tapes. One of the guys I know got knocked out on an AFF jump, his cypres fired, and his reserve separated into 2 and 5 cell pieces held together by the manufacturer's single reinforcing tape at the tail.

PD reserves land better too, especially at higher wing loadings.

How much would you pay for this rig?

$350 for the main (because if you shop arround you can get a better flying main for that), $300 for the reserve (not out-of-line for the age, they were only $550 new), maybe $500 for the old container.

I wouldn't buy any AAD but a Cypres. $250 (needs 8 year + batteries) - $500 (8 year done with 2 years left on the batteries) would be reasonable for that.

$1400 - $1650.

Cypres - d.o.m. 1998 and it's been in storage for two years = it probably needs an 8 year and batteries ($300+). It's worth about $500 if the work hasn't been done, about $800 if it has.

I paid $850 for my first Cypres brand-new in 1998 and don't feel it's held its value that well.

With a $60 trade-in and $140 4-year cost and $1200 purchase price a water resistant Cypres 2 that never needs a separate battery replcaement costs $118 a year.

At $800 and $80 for batteries in 2 years an 8 year-old Cypres with fresh batteries and 8 year is going to cost $205 a year. That's not reasonable.

If you figure that having a water proof AAD isn't worth anything, at $120 a year 120 * 4 + 60 (you'll get it back) - 80 (you'll replace the batteries once in 2 years) = $460 is not unreasonable for that Cypres with its 8 year and fresh batteries.

$460 - $140 - $80 = $240 without.