Misslmperfect

do it yourself divorces...

a friend of mine is divorcing her husband, who is deployed overseas right now. it is completely uncontested, and there is no property/assets to be divided, and no children. she is struggling financially, and i KNOW there is a way to file the papers yourself and avoid attorney's fees but i'm not sure of the specifics.

anyone here done this, or any legal types know of how to go about it? i've seen websites offering "packages" but for some reason i think it's as easy as going to the courthouse and filing...am i right?[:/]

thanks in advance!
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

She needs to go to the nearest probate/family court and file. She will only be required to pay the filing fee. They will have to appear in front of a judge at a later date (I'm not sure if she is able to present a statement from him in his abscence). The judgement will be sent to her shortly after the court appearance.

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

What state?

Edited to add:

Assuming your friend is also in Dallas, here's a reasonably good site:

http://www.uslegalforms.com/tx/TX-008-D.htm

There may be special rules because her husband is in the military.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

she's in dallas as well. i was under the impression that she could just file in person and pay the fees, as well as the court fees because she would have to be present, but i wasn't sure that was the case.

i don't believe that him being in the service matters, as long as she's not trying to get any of his assets, pension, etc..which she's not.

i'll send her that link. thank you!

Pursuant to 50 U.S.C. §521, there are protections in place to prevent default judgments being entered against those who are in the military. This includes uncontested divorces.

The law is federal, and I only understand how it is implemented in New Jersey, not in Texas, but I do know for sure that it is applicable in all 50 states. What assets your friend wants or does not want from her ex-to-be is irrelevant.

At the very least, he'll probably have to enter an appearance on his own behalf, but as I said, I do not know the Texas procedures.

Edited to add:

http://www.divorcesupport.com/divorce/Texas-Military-Divorce-Laws-2777.html

If you google "Texas military divorce," there are hundreds of topical links.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

anyone here done this, or any legal types know of how to go about it? i've seen websites offering "packages" but for some reason i think it's as easy as going to the courthouse and filing...am i right?[:/]

thanks in advance!

I'm thinking that when we did ours in California, it came to about $400. (plus a quarter million give or take.[:/] )

I used this book, and my total cost for the divorce was the cost of the book and filing fees. And this was with a child and assets to divide. This book spells out exactly what you need to do and how to do it, and also tells you which forms you need for your particular circumstances. It has all of the forms in hardcopy and electronic formats. I can't recommend it enough.

http://www.nolotech.com/TX/dyodtx.html

so, from what i understand from rhondalea's post about military divorces, as long as he signs a waiver and gives up his right to appear in court or be served papers physically, the divorce can go on like any other. that makes sense...and he isn't arguing the divorce at all.

thank you all so much. i'm forwarding all of your links on to her!