MissyOutTheBox

Student rig change up anxieties

For what its worth, when I was a student and there was a last minute switch of planes from the Cessna to a twin beech I was seriously considering backing out... (then it was called on account of weather)...

You will have to jump new planes and different gear at times. But you NEVER have to go up before you are comfortable with the change. Make sure you get the time and information about how this change will affect your jump.

In retrospect, I LOVED that twin but without having ever been in it or ANY plane but the prior 5 Cessna jumps, I was not comfortable that I would not do something stupid. (And 2 years later an experienced jumper showed that you could have problems with exiting that plane... but that's a story for another thread)

Jim Wine
Still missing my home DZ... Hartwood, VA!!
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Of course, a spring loaded PC is gonna hopefully clear a burble anyways,<<<<

Really? DO you realize that breaking your burble is because a Springloaded PC is likely to sit on your back?

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

I didn't realise that a spring loaded PC is more likely to sit on your back. I have seen one looking quite hesitant in a video at the weekend actually though. I guess the throw-away is clearing sideways into good air so more reliable like that.

Keep hearing "funny" stories 'bout people converting from ripcord to BOC throwaway and holding on to the PC. :-)

I was nervous recently 'bout doing a different exit. I had to conciously make the decision to try a different way of exiting just to break routine, 'cos I'd got kinda lazy and comfortable just doing it one way. I was used to diving facing the wing (goal save style). I saw another student diving towards the tail of the plane. I talked about the small differences with an instructor before giving it a try. It was a bit quicker, and there's more tendency to go a bit head-down on exit, and I still prefer the other kind of dive. But really, especially if you ever want to get into formations, then exiting all different ways is something you've got to be comfortable with I guess. Shouldn't be afraid to try new things occasionally, just 'cos you got comfortable doing things one way. But of course talk with an instructor. :-)

Also getting out of a 182 I changed recently. I'd always done strut-hanging, which I'd got comfortable with. However, on a recent lift I had a tandem behind me, and so they didn't end up going deep I wanted a more efficient exit that wouldn't have me faffing around on the step/strut. So I learned to just dive towards the tail. Now it's my favourite way to get out of the 182. :-)

G. :-)