peek

Harvesting broccoli and cauliflower

So you guys seem to know damn near everything, at least collectively, so I thought I would ask here. So when should broccoli and cauliflower be harvested? I put these in about early May. At an earlier date they looked similar to what you see in the market but did not really look like they were ready. This is the first time I have grown these. I do great with peppers, but I'm not feeling very confident with these. http://www.industrologic.com/broc_caulif.jpg

Broccoli is about a 100 - 120 day crop.
That length is based on water, heat, sunshine, fertilizer, etc.
I've been on a broccoli farm and in about 90 days from planting to first harvest have a crop. Then depending on the maturity you can have up to 3 harvests.

Mind you this is all based on a winter in Phoenix, AZ. That is the season for herbs, wheat, broccoli, cabbage, etc in AZ. Hotter areas may shorten the life cycle.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Broccoli is about a 100 - 120 day crop. Then depending on the maturity you can have up to 3 harvests.

Damn, its only been 70 or so days! I was beginning to suspect the brocolli was past. I got these as 3 inch plants at WalMart. So does that mean I can cut off what is there and it will make another bunch?

I just harvested a bunch of lettuce. I can't believe how much came in. I was advised to simply cut them off, and they'll regrow again every 30 days. I'll ask around my resources and see what people say. Lots of knowledgeable old timers around my town.
We are all engines of karma

Broccoli is about a 100 - 120 day crop. Then depending on the maturity you can have up to 3 harvests.

Damn, its only been 70 or so days! I was beginning to suspect the brocolli was past. I got these as 3 inch plants at WalMart. So does that mean I can cut off what is there and it will make another bunch?

The stringy looking plant is not broccoli. At least, not a standard variety. Broccoli is a very dark green leafy plant that can get up to 2 feet high. The center of the plant, aka the stalk, will have flowerettes thats should begin in a color similar to the leaves. When you see "flowers" the yellow part of the plant, it is gone. In fact, as soon as you see a bunch begin to even turn a lighter yellow, it is "over the hill" as they say.
Those have gone so far I would cut the stalks of the flowers and see what happens. Doubtful it will return.
When I say the life span of the crop. that is from planting to final. Not when you pick the plant from a store. ;)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

The center of the plant, aka the stalk, will have flowerettes thats should begin in a color similar to the leaves. When you see "flowers" the yellow part of the plant, it is gone. In fact, as soon as you see a bunch begin to even turn a lighter yellow, it is "over the hill" as they say.

Well, it used to look like that, but yes, it's way past harvest now. I'll cut it off and see what happens. It's a good thing watching it grow is half the fun. Too bad, I like broccoli way more than cauliflower.