koppel

Glow Stick Spill on Container

Did an awesome night jump for New Years, in freefall watching the fireworks. :)
Woke up this morning to find that one of the glow sticks had leaked onto my container :(

the area affected is mostly on the legstrap by the attachment point to the hip ring.

I have rinsed the area with warm water but there appears to be some residue still. I am considering dis-assembling the rig to wash it completely but was wondering if anyone knew it there was anything in the ingredients that could be harmful to my rig.???

Thanks
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

"The chemicals used to create this reaction in glow sticks are usually hydrogen peroxide and a mixture of phenyl oxalate ester and the fluorescent dye that gives the glow stick its color.":S

I think the stuff is "non-toxic" and "non-harmful". I can't say for sure if it'd hurt your rig. Doubtful, just wash it and I bet it'll go away.;)

I remember friends in highschool eating them, so they can't be that bad.:D

I had one break on my chest strap a year or so ago. I did the same as you and it left a small stain but did not seem to affect the integrity of the webbing at all. Hope that helps in some way.;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

"The chemicals used to create this reaction in glow sticks are usually hydrogen peroxide and a mixture of phenyl oxalate ester and the fluorescent dye that gives the glow stick its color.":S

I think the stuff is "non-toxic" and "non-harmful". I can't say for sure if it'd hurt your rig. Doubtful, just wash it and I bet it'll go away.;)

I remember friends in highschool eating them, so they can't be that bad.:D

Even if washed, it will likely leave a UV reflective stain, as it does with clothing. The stuff inside the chem-light will also eat through certain types of paint, even after being "washed off." (yes, I know this from experience)
I can drink Coke, but spilling Coke on my gear would be bad.

To the original poster:
I would recommend letting a master rigger or the manufacturer examine the gear.

For Great Deals on Gear