wilcox

skyhook pulling pin before cutaway cable

I pulled the reserve on the ground by pulling the skyhook from the shackle where it attaches to the riser.
1. The reserve pin was pulled out of loop
2. The cutaway cable was pulled out of the three-ring loop
3. The skyhook was pulled

I thought the cable was supposed to be pulled first (2, 1, 3). Does this mean the cutaway cable is too long? Or is the pin really supposed to be pulled first?

I pulled the reserve on the ground by pulling the skyhook from the shackle where it attaches to the riser.

I thought the cable was supposed to be pulled first (2, 1, 3). Does this mean the cutaway cable is too long? Or is the pin really supposed to be pulled first?

Pulling the cutaway handle is what activates the Skyhook. Without pulling the cutaway handle, the Skyhook RSL should not pull the reserve pin.

For Great Deals on Gear

Pulling the cutaway handle is what activates the Skyhook. Without pulling the cutaway handle, the Skyhook RSL should not pull the reserve pin.

looking at my rig the collins laynard will in fact release the leftside riser (if enough force is applied), the resevere pin most importantly, which will then release the sping loaded pilotchute of the reserve. I'm not certain but the rightside riser will still be attached due to the lack of an airsteam since the risers are not leaving with the main after the main has been deployed..you are talking about striping the lanyard off the rig using the RSL shackel at it's connection point after disconnecting it from the rig without pulling the cutaway handle... right?

It a safety feature on the new Sigma's. During a partial on incomplete cutaway, to avoid a main/reserve entanglement, or other nasty situation, like a riser break :)This guy just fooled with it, and confused himself, when it may seem to be an out of sequence deployment while on the ground, it is a highly effective back up to you EP's.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

I am not going to pop my reserve to find out... But I looked at my assembled collins lanyard-skyhook...

If I just pulled my RSL like you did yours...

There is very little slack between the reserve pin and the RSL, so it would pull first.

At the same time the non-rsl side riser would start to have it's cable pulled by the collins lanyard, but that system has more "slack".

The reserve pin needs about an inch of RSL travel to pull the pin. It appears the collins lanyard needs about 4 or 5 inches of RSL travel to complete the pull of the cutaway line.

So, I am no Bill Booth, but I think your collins lanyard worked as planned. Note - your example simulates a broken riser on the RSL side, not an actual cutaway, as if you cutaway with your cutaway handle, the canopy would have been disconnected from both risers before the RSL would have started it's job... Right??? In that case, my non-rsl side cable is about an inch shorter so the non-rsl side would leave first before the collins lanyard is needed. (Yes, I did pull that too look)

Note - your example simulates a broken riser on the RSL side

only if it broke at the three rings, with the RSL shackle (connected) leaving with the the broken portion of the riser. If the riser broke above the three rings (the RSL shackle would still be connected to the the three rings at the harness) and this would require the cutaway handle being pulled. Not that I'm certain. I do require that if I am wrong, I'm corrected.

only if it broke at the three rings, with the RSL shackle (connected) leaving with the the broken portion of the riser. If the riser broke above the three rings (the RSL shackle would still be connected to the the three rings at the harness) and this would require the cutaway handle being pulled.

From Bill Booth:

"Riser breaks almost always happen where the riser goes around the RW-8 harness ring. The very dull "knife edge" of the harness ring actually "cuts" the webbing."

Note - your example simulates a broken riser on the RSL side

only if it broke at the three rings, with the RSL shackle (connected) leaving with the the broken portion of the riser. If the riser broke above the three rings (the RSL shackle would still be connected to the the three rings at the harness) and this would require the cutaway handle being pulled. Not that I'm certain. I do require that if I am wrong, I'm corrected.

There are many ways the three rings/riser could come lose on one side, ranging from things breaking to things being used improperly...

So, if the loop the RSL is connected to leaves with the main - the RSL will be activated. If the loop stays, the RSL will stay...

You appear to be correct.

Following a real-life cutaway, your main is traveling away from you at hundreds of inches a second. So, the Collins' Lanyard will release the left riser (if you haven't done it already) within 1/100th of a second after your right riser leaves. So really precise timing with the Collins' Lanyard isn't necessary. However, precise timing between the reserve pin pull, and the skyhook engaging is critical in a partial malfunction situation. The reserve pilot chute must jump just enough to get out of the way of the Skyhook deployed bag, but not so far that it will release the bridle from the Skyhook Lanyard, like it would in a total malfunction situation. A deviation of just a few inches in either the bridle length, or Skyhook placement on the bridle, can throw things off. The ratio between the reserve pin lanyard and the Skyhook lanyard is even more critical. This is why my direct-pull RSL system must be used with the Skyhook. Cable-through-ring RSL systems are just not accurate enough, because their timing depends on how much "slack" there is in the reserve ripcord cable.