irisheyes

Synvisc/Gel Shots anyone?

My experience was a good one.

I'm a gym-rat (running, cycling, stairs, etc etc) with an arthritic right knee that was becoming increasingly painful late last year. I did the Synvisc injections in January not really expecting much; my doctor had told me they work for some folks but not everyone. I was absolutely amazed at the results - the pain was almost totally eliminated. It's been eight months now and my knee's still doing fine.

Good luck to you whatever you decide!

I've had rather extensive experience with synvisc (and Hyalgan..ie hyaluronic acid...which is compairable to synvisc) injections into my knees to postpone an inevitable surgery aswell.I've had 7 in my left knee and 5 in my right.My mom has also had numerous injections in her knees and back as well as my late grandmother in her knees and back.Its GREAT! Its a little squishy/bouncy feeling at first when you first move the joint around after the initial injection but as it works into the joint and does its magic its wonderful.I usually have full range of motion and no pain after an injection and usually starts working within 1-3 days after the first injection and stays strong for weeks even months later after a series (usually 5-7injections) is completed.

I'd definitely go for it if I were you.Its really increased my quality of life.I unfortunately lost my insurance coverage in my divorce so I cant get them anymore and thus am slowly backsliding into chronic knee pain.B|

hope that helped! if not PM me and I'll try to explain more.:)

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

As a patient I have not had it, but during my ortho rotation it was used a lot....saw a lot of positive results and few who said it wasn't helpful...but overall I saw good things with it.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!