FlyingJ

WHY...

...can't people that are told to leave the area of an impending disaster just freakin' leave!!! >:(>:(>:(

It's kind of a tough question for me to ask because I understand why people stay. I've been through 9 or 10 pretty major storms and stayed pretty much anytime it wasn't mandatory. I can understand people high and dry in an area otherwise doomed feel it would be ok, but what the hell are people that live right on the water doing still in town?

There is NO reason that Coast Guard/Military/local people need to be put at risk trying to rescue people that make the choice to stay and then get fucked. These resources usually have a trigger point at which they stop rescues until the event is over, but they spend an awful lot of time on the brink of that trigger point when there should be no reason for them to be there.

There are obviously circumstances where folks are all of a sudden in danger that didn't expect, but come on, when there is no doubt what is going to happen, why should people be risking their lives because you were stubborn?

Like I said, I understand completely that there are some reasons that might validate someone staying around, but they are extremely few and far between.

Of course, that said, I have several coast guard and former Air Force parajumper friends that have said they really get off on executing rescues in crazy conditions and would feel cheated if they didn't get the chance to help out those considered common sense challenged. Stupidity = job satisfaction.
Killing threads since 2004.

Sometimes it's easier to stick your head in the sand & forget that something can still bite you in the ass...

Nobody wants to acknowledge that something bad is going to / could happen to them. Unfortunately the lack of common sense on their part leads to responsible & brave people (like your friends) having to risk their lives to help the 'ostriches'...

I'd rather be saying THANK YOU that there are people out there WILLING to try & get those people to safety. :|

A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
D.S # 125

...they really get off on executing rescues in crazy conditions and would feel cheated if they didn't get the chance to help out those considered common sense challenged.

:D:D:D:D Made my Friday. But seriously you owe me another monitor.:D

WTF!? You don't understand someone's need for a bit of adrenaline? ;)
D.S # 125

...they really get off on executing rescues in crazy conditions and would feel cheated if they didn't get the chance to help out those considered common sense challenged.

:D:D:D:D Made my Friday. But seriously you owe me another monitor.:D

WTF!? You don't understand someone's need for a bit of adrenaline? ;)

No I just went back and re-read it. At first I thought is said "executing rescuees", which I found quite commical. So it looks like I owe myself that monitor. Ah hell.
Muff #5048

I'd rather be saying THANK YOU that there are people out there WILLING to try & get those people to safety. :|

Very true and no matter how often they are thanked it is not enough. I just have trouble getting over that the reason thanks are owed is (more often than not) because people are too stubborn to follow directions meant to save their lives without risking those of others.

Just in a ranting mood while waiting for my power to go out. It's been flickering for the last hour. I'm about 150 miles down the coast and it's just starting to get windy but our power goes out down here when someone farts in the right direction.

I agree, on both counts! I very much appreciate the rescuers who go out to help others in need, but I also understand the frustration. It's one thing to rescue people who get caught in a bad situation through no making of their own; it's another to have to go rescue someone because they had the chance to leave and turned it down. Taking a gamble when something happens suddenly and you don't know what may happen next is one thing, but this situation has been forming for several days and all indicators have been pointing towards landfall along the TX coast for quite a while.
TPM Sister #102

[replyJust in a ranting mood while waiting for my power to go out. It's been flickering for the last hour. I'm about 150 miles down the coast and it's just starting to get windy but our power goes out down here when someone farts in the right direction.

Rant away :)
The people ARE being stupid, but that's a human trait :|

Good luck with the power & I hope Ike blows out before too much damage is caused...
D.S # 125

No I just went back and re-read it. At first I thought is said "executing rescuees", which I found quite commical. So it looks like I owe myself that monitor. Ah hell.

I'm sure they get one now and then they wouldn't mind tossing back! B|

I was just ranting on the phone a little too and my friend pointed out something I hadn't really thought about. A lot of times it's the folks that really are relatively prepared that are the ones left waiting for help. There are very few people living on the gulf coast that have an excuse to be anything but prepared for this kind of stuff. It's a fact of life living here. That said, I imagine that keeping well prepared might give a false sense of security.

Just another thing to ponder I guess. As with everything in life, knowing one's limits is a pretty important personal attribute to have!