Squeak

External Drives

OK you computer gurus (please dont start with the Mac PC crap)
I have a WD passport 320GB external drive
when i load up files on it, some of them will not open from a different computer.
I happens when loading a file at home and taking it to work, or vice versa.
I happens when i try to pen the file on laptops or desktops?

But when i go back to where it was loaded from it works fine.

The error message "the file or directory is Not Accessible, Access denied". but it's not protected at all??

Any ideas on how to fix this.

WITHOUT the MAc Vs PC crap, it's old and moronic to repeat that argument again
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Definitely sounds like it has to do with permissions. You may have to take ownership, or change the ownership where 'all' have full permissions.

That's what i thought mike but the permissions seem fine?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Definitely sounds like it has to do with permissions. You may have to take ownership, or change the ownership where 'all' have full permissions.

Weird - are you able to take ownership on the other machine? It may be some sort of security policy (guessing, here).
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Weird - are you able to take ownership on the other machine? It may be some sort of security policy (guessing, here).

They are work computers to which i have Admin rights. so i am assuming yes.

It does not happen to all files.
For instance i made a new folder for some media files (these files i could access from either machine)
I placed the media files into the folder, and now i cant access the folder at all from work
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I want to make sure I'm straight, here. The home machine is a Mac, and the work machine is Windows, right?

You have media files on the drive you were able to access at home and at work. You made a folder with the home machine and moved the files into it, and now you can't access them on the work machine, correct?

Can you access the folder at all? What permissions are on the folder?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I want to make sure I'm straight, here.

You have media files on the drive you were able to access at home and at work. You made a folder with the home machine and moved the files into it, and now you can't access them on the work machine, correct?

Can you access the folder at all?

Other way around, i put them in the folder at work and now can not access the folder at home at all.
i can access other files and folders on the drive but not this one. (and another folder which i did the same thing to)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I want to make sure I'm straight, here.

Can you access the folder at all?

Other way around, i put them in the folder at work and now can not access the folder at home at all.
i can access other files and folders on the drive but not this one. (and another folder which i did the same thing to)

Ok... I don't know how Mac works...is there any way to take ownership of the folder with it?

A google search recommended the following:
"On the Mac, if the drive is mounted, highlight it and go to the File Menu to Get Info. This will show the Permissions for it and you should be able to change. It also may have a check box to 'Ignore permissions" If it has that check it and try the drive."
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

they are PCs not macs sorry for the confusion

Ok, I found this online - hopefully it will help!!

What I suspect is happening is this:

1. Your external drive is formatted with the NTFS file system, which supports access restrictions.

2. The permissions on the files in question have become set to "Read and Excecute" for Users or Everyone (probably Everyone), and to Full Control for one specific user. These settings are typical for files created inside the My Documents folder of Computer Administrator users who haven't elected to make their files private.

3. The folders you're working with have Create Files and Create Folders permissions for Everyone on themselves and their subfolders, and Full Control permissions for the dummy user CREATOR OWNER on subfolders and files. Which means that anybody can create files or folders, but only the user who created them can change or delete them. This is a fairly typical setting for the root folder of newly formatted drives.

You can check the permissions on any file by right-clicking the file, selecting Properties, then clicking on the Security tab. If you don't have a Security tab on file or folder property sheets, you need to do one of two things depending on whether you're running XP Home or Professional.

For XP Professional: open a Windows Explorer window, then select Tools->Folder Options->View; scroll down to the bottom and turn off Simple File Sharing.

For XP Home: run the "Security for folders and files" patch from this website.

Things you should know about NTFS permissions to make sense of what's going on:

1. When you copy a file into a folder on an NTFS volume (using copy/paste or right-click-drag/drop/Copy File(s) Here), the file will inherit permissions from the folder you copy it into.

2. When you move a file from one folder to another (using cut/paste or drag/drop), the file will keep its existing permissions.

3. As well as a bunch of permissions, every NTFS file and folder has an owner, which can be a user or a security group. The owner has full control over the file or folder regardless of any permissions that are set on it.

4. There are some users and security groups built in to Windows (Everyone, Administrator, Administrators etc) that have predefined Security ID's which are the same on all machines. Other users and groups have SID's derived from that of the machine they're defined on. So if you give user Joe permission to access a file on machine A, that doesn't necessarily mean you can plug the drive into machine B, log on as Joe and get access to the same file.

5. Members of the Administrators security group have the right to take ownership of any file or folder, either for themselves or for the Administrators group as a whole.

For an external drive that is going to be used on several different computers, I recommend you set the NTFS permissions very loose, and rely on your physical possession of the drive for the security of its files:

1. Connect the drive to any Windows XP machine on which you have a Computer Administrator logon.

2. Log on as an administrator.

3. Double-click My Computer.

4. Right-click the drive and select Properties. If the property sheet doesn't have a Security tab, enable them as described above and then come back to this step.

5. Click the Security tab.

6. Click the Advanced button. This should bring up the Advanced Security Settings dialog for the drive, which will have some more tabs on it.

7. Click the Owner tab.

8. Click the line for the Administrators group, check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects", and click OK. If you're asked about replacing existing permissions with ones giving you Full Control, click Yes.

9. The Advanced Security Properties box should eventually disappear, leaving you looking at Security tab on the original Properties sheet again. For each entry in the "Group or user names" list in turn, click on that entry and click Remove.

10. Click Add. This will bring up the "Select Users, Computer or Groups" dialog.

11. Under "Enter the object names to select", type Everyone and click OK. You should see that Everyone has been added to the list of users and groups.

11. Click Everyone, and check Full Control.

12. Click Apply.

13. Click Advanced again to get the Advanced Security Settings dialog box back.

14. Check "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects" and click OK.

15. Click OK.

You should now be able to read and write all the files in that folder and all its subfolders regardless of which computer you're using or who you're logged on as.

Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Question
If i completely reformat the drive to FAT32 instead of NTFS will that stop this issue?

From what I understand, yes - the permissions issue only apply to NTFS formatted drives.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Question
If i completely reformat the drive to FAT32 instead of NTFS will that stop this issue?

Yes it should solve your issue. NTFS offers several improvements over FAT32, one of them being enhanced file security. It offers better structural integrity for data & storage, as well as better use of hard drive space. Honestly? If you're running a machine at home for basic use such as word processing, internet browsing, some games, and use your external HD as storage for music/movies/photos/etc, there's no real need for NTFS. Just format using FAT32...

Oh and can't forget to add 'browsing dropzone.com' under uses for your computer system. :P

Edit: Good quick read on NTFS vs. FAT. Explains it a bit further.
http://cquirke.mvps.org/ntfs.htm

OK you computer gurus (please dont start with the Mac PC crap)
I have a WD passport 320GB external drive
when i load up files on it, some of them will not open from a different computer.
I happens when loading a file at home and taking it to work, or vice versa.
I happens when i try to pen the file on laptops or desktops?

But when i go back to where it was loaded from it works fine.

The error message "the file or directory is Not Accessible, Access denied". but it's not protected at all??

Any ideas on how to fix this.

WITHOUT the MAc Vs PC crap, it's old and moronic to repeat that argument again

B4 you go the reformatting route..
Tell us what file system you actually have on the drive. Is it NTFS? That I think would be unusual, unless you reformatted it that way.

Then what type of files are you trying to access on these various systems?
Sometimes MS Access *.mdb files need another setting changed to open them - depends on how you access them.

Another thing to try is networking your systems together and sharing the drive.
That should bring up a login screen if it is an access permissions problem.

Another, somewhat easier, route is to set up an identical UN/PW login on the second machine, login as that user and see if that fixes the problem. That would definitely point to an NTFS access permissions problem.

What OS do you have on these systems?

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Assuming you are using Vista?

The file system (NTFS) retains the permissions of the file owner at creation time. Because the file owner is attached to your specific installation, any other users (in your machine or elsewhere) are restricted from accesssing the files according to your "file creation policies".

Try creating a FAT32 partition to move files betwen systems (as the easiest answer).

Or you can go the long way and change the file permissions in the drive, but that raises a host of other issues.

Let me know how I can help!
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Danger Will Rogers ! Danger !

While it is a solution, it has a lot of implications .... your data becomes far more vulnerable when it's attached to ANY computer..... specially if the host is not yours and you are unsure if there are any viruses, etc on the host.....

Suggestion: a good USB key is available for about $30 (16GB).... attach one to your key chain and transport only data you want to transport... keep your repositories attached to your computer at home (or work)....

Better yet, buy a quality encrypted and secure USB thumb drive...

where can i get a 320GB thumbdrive?
Most of the files are media file i am loading the drive for when i travel later this month
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

where can i get a 320GB thumbdrive?
Most of the files are media file i am loading the drive for when i travel later this month

Thumbs haven't reached that density, you are right. You can always change the permission on the volume and allow every user (Anyone) "read access".

-OR- Use at your own risk :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q823306#appliesto

OK, got to work today, and went to my folders and Added, "EVERYONE" to the Users and Groups, with Full Control. that seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks very much Mike a appreciate the help :)

My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

OK, got to work today, and went to my folders and Added, "EVERYONE" to the Users and Groups, with Full Control. that seems to have fixed the problem.

No problem - glad you got it sorted!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Well today is a new day with new challenges :D:D:D I'm copying all the file to a desktop so that i can reformat the Ext Drive, due to one of the folders being corrupted and not allowing me to delete it. Whilst i am in the process of copying the files over i notice that the permissions keep dropping off.
I have managed to get them all to the server (the last folder was still tranfering when i left work) So on Monday i will reformat the Drive, and check all the permissions again before i transfer the files back to the External.

Question, any ideas why the permissions keep dropping off?
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Well today is a new day with new challenges :D:D:D I'm copying all the file to a desktop so that i can reformat the Ext Drive, due to one of the folders being corrupted and not allowing me to delete it. Whilst i am in the process of copying the files over i notice that the permissions keep dropping off.
I have managed to get them all to the server (the last folder was still tranfering when i left work) So on Monday i will reformat the Drive, and check all the permissions again before i transfer the files back to the External.

Question, any ideas why the permissions keep dropping off?

Could be because of this, from my earlier post (note the bolding):

"Things you should know about NTFS permissions to make sense of what's going on:

1. When you copy a file into a folder on an NTFS volume (using copy/paste or right-click-drag/drop/Copy File(s) Here), the file will inherit permissions from the folder you copy it into.

2. When you move a file from one folder to another (using cut/paste or drag/drop), the file will keep its existing permissions.

3. As well as a bunch of permissions, every NTFS file and folder has an owner, which can be a user or a security group. The owner has full control over the file or folder regardless of any permissions that are set on it.

4. There are some users and security groups built in to Windows (Everyone, Administrator, Administrators etc) that have predefined Security ID's which are the same on all machines. Other users and groups have SID's derived from that of the machine they're defined on. So if you give user Joe permission to access a file on machine A, that doesn't necessarily mean you can plug the drive into machine B, log on as Joe and get access to the same file.

5. Members of the Administrators security group have the right to take ownership of any file or folder, either for themselves or for the Administrators group as a whole."

So, it could be due to the method you are using to move the files from one spot to the other - the good part is, you know what to do to fix it, now!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

So today I copied all the file back onto the External drive making sure all permissions were correct.
It was STILL copying when i left work (bloody slow) so tomorrow i will finally see if al this has worked :ph34r:

Oh BTW, it would not let me reformat in FAT32 so it stayed NTFS:)

My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?