Mostly_Harmless

Canopy performance

I can not get the 170 to dive on front risers,

Try flying in deep brakes then letting them up before applying front riser. This lightens the riser pressure and is lots of fun ;) Do this up high and talk to an instructor first.... It works for me:P

Don't make the decision to down size because you are bored with your current canopy. (I've been there, done that) Good Luck, Be Safe.

For what other reason would a person downsize? I'd say something more like, "Don't downsize until you've developed sufficient skills for the canopy you'll be downsizing to."

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

For what other reason would a person downsize?

All too often i've seen sky divers downsize because of peer pressure, the feeling of "fitting in" There are many non legit reasons that sky divers down size. I've even seen sky divers down size against the advice of others. So other than "being bored" there are many other reasons / excuses for down sizing.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Without being flamed to death: is D/Sing to a 150 Sabre2 w/ a w/l of 1.26 be a bad idea for my experience level

What is your experience level? How many jumps do have on your current canopy? What other canopies have you jumped, and how many jumps have you put on them?

Also, why are you in such a need for front riser performance? Have you exhausted the other capabilities of your canopy? To the point that you are ready for a smaller canopy? What would you be doing with the 'improved' front riser performance of the smaller canopy anyways?

My experience level is 74 jumps. I probably have around 40-45 jumps on the 170. I have jumped a 240-210 nav before getting my A, then a few jumps on a 190 Spectre, and now my 170. I am not saying I am ready/or have the need to go to a smaller canopy. This is why I am asking all these questions so that I can stay with my current one and have some more fun with it. I would just like to try some new things while making the ride back to the airport. One of my favorite parts of the skydive is the canopy ride back. I can sit all day practicing my flares, rear riser turns, spiralling with the toggles (which I do). There fore I am looking to try something new. If people say that they can make front riser turns on a similar canopy with similar w/l's then I want to know why I can't. The majority of this thread are skydiving giving me tips for my current canopy, all of which I will try this weekend (NY weather permiting:S).

The majority of this thread are skydiving giving me tips for my current canopy

You asked for advice, you recieved it. What you do with it is up to you. If you wish to fly with a higher WL i advised you how you could do it without changing out canopies. (The weight vest) You give me the impression your in too big of a hurry and looking for an excuse to down size. I'm not bashing you for that, i did it myself. It was people who cared about me that advised me during my canopy progression that kept me from killing myself. Take a canopy course, buy some videos, seek out a mentor. But don't down size until you know and feel in your heart the current canopy has taught you all it could.

Again, Good luck and be safe.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

And I appeciate the advice you have given. It seems like a lot of people around where I jump give in too easy to peer pressure. I am trying hard to keep it out of mind and know that d/s'ing at this time is a bad idea (d/s'ing wasn't really my intention, as I said before, its mostly to seek advice about my current canopy). Thanks rwieder.

If people say that they can make front riser turns on a similar canopy with similar w/l's then I want to know why I can't.

use the force :)
I can make 180 on Spectre-170 (@ 1.15-1)
I can do the same on 190 (@1-1)

this takes some strong grip and there is a point in the manouver when you are efectively hanging one-handed on the front riser...

I grab and pull at least to my face-level

https://www.facebook.com/1skydive/

If people say that they can make front riser turns on a similar canopy with similar w/l's then I want to know why I can't.

use the force :)

this takes some strong grip and there is a point in the manouver when you are efectively hanging one-handed on the front riser...

I grab and pull at least to my face-level

I have been following this thread but havent responded due to low jump numbers etc etc ;)....but there is a lack of info...How far are you pulling the front risers down??...as snafu sais ...he pulls them down to about face level....I pull them down farther...but do get a good reaction even at face level.....How far do you pull the front risers down??...(hell I've even front riser sprialed a 288 manta..not easy...but have done it to qual for the CSPA A cop).....

Maybe its a matter of not pulling them far enough??or of trim as others have suggested...but lets get all the info 1st and go from there before u go to a 1.3w/l ;)

I can do the same on my Spectre 190, but only if the slider is down and the chest-strap is loosened.

Are you saying that you cant front riser turn your Spectre 190 unless your slider is down and your chest strap is loosened?????

No. Just that I can't (easily) do a 180 degree turn unless they are.

If they aren't loosened, I get minimal roll angle (and harness input doesn't add much) and the canopy doesn't turn very quickly. The lack of roll angle means that that the force needed to hold down the risers increases very quickly, making a 180 degree turn difficult and a 270 nigh on impossible.

Pull down the slider and loosen the chest-strap, and it becomes a completely different canopy B|.

No. Just that I can't (easily) do a 180 degree turn unless they are.

If they aren't loosened, I get minimal roll angle (and harness input doesn't add much) and the canopy doesn't turn very quickly. The lack of roll angle means that that the force needed to hold down the risers increases very quickly, making a 180 degree turn difficult and a 270 nigh on impossible.

Pull down the slider and loosen the chest-strap, and it becomes a completely different canopy B|.

TY....I am trying to get to the source of his problem here....alot of ppl have offered oppions etc...but few have addressed the source of the problem.....I find it hard to believe that a Sabre will not front riser dive/turn ....with the proper input.....

Hence my Q as snafu's Q....about the input to the risers...is it a strength issue?...front risers can be quite hard to pull down let alone maintain(I can get about 540 deg on fronts outa my Tri.....but I am a mechanic with pretty good upper body strength...and thats all I can do...360 stresses me).......

Again...back to the issue/thread begining...not being able to get some dive out of a fairley snappy canopy at a decient w/l on front risers.....something is amiss here.