JerryBaumchen

Computer Problem

I am having a problem with my computer.

I am getting a little window down in the lower right corner of the screen that says:

LOCAL AREA CONNECTION

A network cable is unplugged.

This window will pop-up every 2-5 seconds for 2-5 seconds at a time; or it may go 10 minutes without popping up.

The last two days I have had a computer fix-it guy here for over three hours so far and we know that it is NOT a cable problem. But, as of now, he is stumped as to the problem.

We tried a new internet card but that did not change anything.

This problem will slow down anything I am trying on the internet and has really effected my email. This morning I was trying to send a simple email and it took me over 5 minutes of continual trying; that is not an exaggeration.

It also has enough interuption to prevent me from updating my virus protection automatically ( AVG ).

I am running Windows XP & just updated to IE7 a little over a week ago. This problem has been here for about 3-4 months now.

So any thoughts?

Thanks,

JerryBaumchen
A computer dufus

PS) I tried to post this a few minutes ago & when I did a Check Spelling it locked the computer up and shut it down. The lockup & shutdown may not be related to this Connection problem.

PPS) If anyone needs more info just let me know.

You can also get that message is there is a problem with the device (could be, a switch, hub, router or modem) at the end of the cable opposite of the computer. You did not mention what it is, or if you had already checked there.

If you have another (unused) device such as a switch, you could plug it in at the end opposite of the cable. If the "unplugged" problem goes away, then that will tell you that the problem was in the original device. Else, then back to the computer end.

You are always best off testing by process of elimination. Have another computer (laptop or such) and plug it into the same wire, see if problem persists.

If you can, try that same network card on another computer and see if it still shows up or not. It could be something on your computer that is just tripping the NIC out.

Do you know if the computer guy re-installed your drivers?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

It is fixed & all is well with the world.

My computer fix-it guy called today and had me go this way:

START
Control Panel
System
Then Hardware Tab
Then select Device Manager
Then select Network Adaptors
Then select the sub-heading
Then select the Advanced Tab
Then go to Link Speed/Duplex Mode
Then we started playing around changing things until we got it working.

YEEHAW B|

JerryBaumchen

PS) I hope some you understand what we did because I don't. :S

Hi only,

odd, ive never known that to work.

Yup, me neither. :P

He said that he had to do some searching on the internet and found the solution.

Now I still have some problem with a little warning about a CTF File but he is coming over tomorrow to tackle that and some other minor things.

JerryBaumchen

invalid ctf file

i get that on my avg too sometimes, when the internet connection is up, but not pulling pages (ie, connected, but not on the internet yet) once im connected, i run an update and all is well
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message