steve1

Horse Talk

This warmer weather has me thinking about horses. There is still about a foot of snow here in Montana, but we had a nice day yesterday.

I've been feeding five horses all winter. That's too many for me. I still have a wild mare I need to sell.

I did get a nice colt out of that mare last Spring. I was thinking of breeding her to a Jack this spring. I'm tired of buying hay, so I think I'll down size my little herd by getting rid of that mare.

I have a green broke four year old gelding with a good disposition. I'm anxious to start working with him again this Spring. He should shape up into a good cow and mountain horse.

The other two are older geldings. They've never been packed before, but I should be able to teach them that easy enough. I hope to spend a lot of time packing and camping in the mountains this summer. That will cut into my skydiving time, but there's not time enough to do everything.

Only Icelandic horses for me!

And I think it would be a little far sending them to Norway from Montana.

Quarter horses do fetch quite good prices over here, people want to get into "western riding" and think that that can only be accomplished with a quarter horse. But people generally pay more for what they think is exotic. You don't get good prices for fjord horses over here, even a well trained one, while in the USA they are "rare" and "exotic".

What breed do you have?
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I read an article once on that type of horse. They were using them to pack in Alaska. If they are the same breed, they looked smaller, and were hardier than most other horses. They also had a different looking head on them, than I was used to seeing....

I read an article once on that type of horse. They were using them to pack in Alaska. If they are the same breed, they looked smaller, and were hardier than most other horses. They also had a different looking head on them, than I was used to seeing....

Thicker necks, rougher manes, very cool looking though, if I remember correctly...

I read up on them, too back when I was a kid. :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I wish our heard was as small as yours! We've been feeding 22 horses all winter, with several of them (mostly the studs who are penned up or the lactating mares who need mare and foal vitamin supplements) getting extra feed 2X daily on top of the 6 round bales of hay we put out for our heard each week.:|

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

This was the first winter in a long time that I didn't have horses to take care of. In a way it was nice to be able to stay in when it was cold outside, but I sure miss the boys. I'm still amazed how an animal that weighs almost a ton, and could crush me in a heart beat, is as gentle as a kitten and can be just as playful.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

I sure miss the boys. I'm still amazed how an animal that weighs almost a ton, and could crush me in a heart beat, is as gentle as a kitten and can be just as playful.

I owned a Clydesdale once. He was about 1/4 Belgium. I used to skid house logs and firewood with him. Even packed him in the mountains. What a wonderful horse! Gentle as a lamb.

When we were skidding logs with him, he'd stick his head in the truck with us, and he would mooch part of our sandwich. I sure hated to sell him. He was like part of the family.

When we were skidding logs with him, he'd stick his head in the truck with us, and he would mooch part of our sandwich. I sure hated to sell him. He was like part of the family.

I would scratch Jesse on the withers and he would return the favor by scatching my shoulder with his upper incisors.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

They are small, lightweight drafts, bred for work in agriculture and pulling carts, but can also be used for riding. Fjord horses are good in terrain, and some are good jumpers.

Here's a stallion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG4DmUHNfuY&feature=related

Fjord horses are very strong for their size and are easy keepers, which means they easily get fat.

:)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?