ACMESkydiver

Fitness Thread Is BACK! =)

I'm doing a 5K tomorrow as part of my New Year's resolution. Lord, help me. :ph34r:

Happy Valentine's Day 5k! Hope you're enjoyed it!

I hope to attempt a 5k some day...it will be pretty far off in the future if it happens, as honestly it would just kill my joints at this weight. :P

Congratulations again! What a victory. -And to complete a resolution this early in the year is STELLAR!! B|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Yay, the fitness thread is back!!

So far this week -
Monday i did the treadmill and upper body/weights.
Tuesday i went to CardioJam - it's a mix of kickboxing and weight training.
Wednesday i don't work out cause of my college class
Thursday i did Cardio Blast - i love this class!! It's 12 stations of circuit type training. Mixed with stretches and yoga/pilates.
Friday - 45 min on the treadmill - no weight training cause i have a pulled muscle in my arm.

Now that i'm taking the free classes at my gym again, i'm more pumped to work out everyday. I was in such a rut, the change is awesome!!

Wow, nice work habit, Sunny-girl!! That's outstanding. Keep it up! :)
~Jaye

Sigh. I've gained 12 pounds this winter...well, it started creeping up this summer. I have a small frame, so that's a lot on me.

I am thinking of making myself weigh in in front of people every week, and posting the weight. Perhaps embarassment will motivate me to have more self control:$

We should not let our fears hold us back from pursuing our hopes.
-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

Sigh. I've gained 12 pounds this winter...well, it started creeping up this summer. I have a small frame, so that's a lot on me.

I am thinking of making myself weigh in in front of people every week, and posting the weight. Perhaps embarassment will motivate me to have more self control:$

It really works, let me tell you...:S Any weight loss class or group I've been a part of, it has REALLY helped my motivation when they announce that week's results to everyone. "Jaye has lost 2.25 pounds this week", then everyone claps and tells me I'm awesome. :ph34r:

Group motivation really helps. Hence the thread. :)
~Jaye

So, I just got back from the gym and my feet are killing me. Can't figure this out - only did 3.5 miles tonight and as stated my feet hurt, last Thursday did 5 miles and no pain. Any advice?
The strong can always afford to be gentle, It is only the weak who need to "give as good as they get."

So, I just got back from the gym and my feet are killing me. Can't figure this out - only did 3.5 miles tonight and as stated my feet hurt, last Thursday did 5 miles and no pain. Any advice?

If it persists, I would consult a "sport" doctor.

R.I.C.E. = Rest, Ice, Compression, and Excercise(PT) (Google it)

There's a good chance that the doctor will recommend a new set of shoes for you. Generally running shoes are only good for about 500 miles or 6 months of use. You also may require different shoes for running and the gym.

A long time ago when I started running, as simular situation happend to me. The MD diagnosed Plantar Fasciaitis, and I eliminated the problem with RICE, a new pair of running shoes, and Toradol (A strong, but short term use NSAID (like Motrin)). It took me a few weeks to get rid of the pain, without recurrance.

A running shoe expert from a marathon shoe store would be good resource for selecting a good shoe for you. If you decide to go that route, make sure to bring a well-worn pair of shoes with you to the store in order to see how your feet are interfacing with the ground. "Running Times" has an annual shoe review that you may be interested in looking-at before getting the shoes.

These days, I respect the need for new shoes every 500 miles. 500 sounds like a lot of miles, but when you are doing 12 miles a day, they add-up quickly.

My advice is FREE. ;)
Sincerely,
The Catacholamine Fiend

"Everyone dies, but not everyone lives."

Hey I'm starting this up again, 'cause I need to lose some more weight prior to July 2nd! B|

How about all y'all? :P

I will lose 40 pounds from my 1/1/09 weight of 235# by 6/1/09 (Too many Hershey bars last year, eating the jumbos from WalMart, buying them 10 at a time...I'm sooooooo ashamed)

I'm down to 220# as of this day, with dieting and exercise. Everyday, I do 2 full hours of either treadmill running with intervals, or running outside, if the ground isn't too icy.

Comes-out to be about 12 miles a day. Hope to eventually run Twin Cities Marathon this year (in October).

My legs, especially the knees, get painful, and I have to stretch for about 30 minutes a day.

Recreational Goals fo 2009:

1) Start skydiving school in the spring
2) Sturgis motorcycle rally in August
3) Twin Cities Marathon in October

As if that weren't enough I'm hoping to fit-in a kayak trip to Canada sometime this year.

My wife hates me.;)
Sincerely,
The Catacholamine Fiend

"Everyone dies, but not everyone lives."

Glad it's back, I was wondering where it ever went.

Since starting Boatswain's Mate A-School just about a month ago, I've become gung-ho about fitness all over again. The simple reason for it is that we've had to do regular mandated workouts here, in addition to the fact that we got stuck with Psycho Wyco as one of our primary instructors. He's a retired Senior Chief and Surfman, one of the best boat drivers in the Coast Guard. He's also a sadistic fuck in terms of fitness. He pushes most of us harder than we've ever been pushed, myself included. Last Tuesday, despite fighting off the flu, he took two BM classes for an off-base run. The larger group, those who weren't in quite as good shape, stuck with Chief Meacham, the Asst. School Chief and finished about 3 miles. The rest of us, affectionately called the "Wolfpack," stayed tight on Senior Chief and completed about 6.8 miles. I would have completed with the rest of the group, but I had to run back a few times because some guys thought they could keep up and couldn't. One was just a fat fart, and the other ended up pinching a nerve in his knee and was on a crutch and a knee brace for almost a week. At least he tried. But all in all, I probably ran about 7.2 miles with the trips to the back. Today I ran the same route, and completed it with a brand new pair of running shoes in just a whisker over an hour.

Here's the kicker. My goal was always to do some form of charitable fitness, whether marathons, triathlons, or whatever I could do. As it turns out, the store where I bought my new shoes is advertising a huge 10k in Richmond, VA at the end of March, two days after my 26th birthday. I'm not on duty that weekend, so that's going to be my first event. Proceeds go to fighting cancer, so I can say I'm giving back for what I've been so lucky to get in life. Never let it be said that Coast Guard Boatswain's Mates aren't givers. :P

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

There's a good chance that the doctor will recommend a new set of shoes for you. Generally running shoes are only good for about 500 miles or 6 months of use. You also may require different shoes for running and the gym.

A long time ago when I started running, as simular situation happend to me. The MD diagnosed Plantar Fasciaitis, and I eliminated the problem with RICE, a new pair of running shoes, and Toradol (A strong, but short term use NSAID (like Motrin)). It took me a few weeks to get rid of the pain, without recurrance.

A running shoe expert from a marathon shoe store would be good resource for selecting a good shoe for you. If you decide to go that route, make sure to bring a well-worn pair of shoes with you to the store in order to see how your feet are interfacing with the ground. "Running Times" has an annual shoe review that you may be interested in looking-at before getting the shoes.

These days, I respect the need for new shoes every 500 miles. 500 sounds like a lot of miles, but when you are doing 12 miles a day, they add-up quickly.

My advice is FREE. ;)

100% agree,
the running room is a great place to go, they will fit you with a shoe that its made for your foot style and this is EXTREMELY important. with a good shoe your feet wont hurt and running may even become enjoyable ;)
Replacing running shoes every 6 months is also a pretty good standard to go by. all shoes eventually lose their support.
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

As it turns out, the store where I bought my new shoes is advertising a huge 10k in Richmond, VA at the end of March, two days after my 26th birthday. I'm not on duty that weekend, so that's going to be my first event. Proceeds go to fighting cancer, so I can say I'm giving back for what I've been so lucky to get in life. Never let it be said that Coast Guard Boatswain's Mates aren't givers. :P

Hooray!!! Very cool. Fighting cancer is an EXCELLENT cause to run for! :)
~Jaye

Hooray!!! Very cool. Fighting cancer is an EXCELLENT cause to run for! :)

Heck yeah it is! I'm going to float it to the rest of the class. If I can get just 4 more people to participate, that's $150 extra that goes toward cancer research and treatment. The more we can get going from here, the better we'll be. And I'm going to see if I can solicit friends back home to donate to the organization to support my run.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

My advice is FREE. ;)

Actually, it's Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation

:)
We should not let our fears hold us back from pursuing our hopes.
-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy.