Copycat

Did I get scammed?

Well, about 10 days ago I posted an ad that i was looking for an older cypres. I got a reply from someone called Reece Baldwin, who wanted to sell his '97 cypres 1 exp. (with the 8yr done) for a good price.

So I decided to buy it, and he asked to get paid by Western Union. Since I don't trust this method at all, I insisted in using PayPal, and he finally accepted, but raising the price by $20. So it was his initial price, +$20 +$30 S/H. I still though it was a good deal for what I was getting.
He mentioned he was going to send with USPS, 3-5 days, and I checked the price and it was correct.

Now it's been exactly one week that he doesn't answer my emails, didn't write anything to me, didn't send me the tracking number, and didn't even confirmed that he got the money (although paypal wrote me it was accepted)

As I always do, I did some research on him before sending the money. His Dropzone.com username is "monoverde" (http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?username=monoverde;) and I did find his "alias" in some other skydiving sites, and his name pops up in some dropzones sites and such.
His DZ.com profile seems that he's a respected skydiver with many jumps, so why did he disappear completely? I sent him a quite menacing e-mail last night telling him that if he doesn't write me an e-mail, i'll be reporting him to paypal, but of course I don't want to do this, specially if he just had some personal trouble and couldn't ship it.

Thanks for any advice / suggestions, any opinion is welcomed!

-Patrik

Sounds like the right path so far. I would at least wait a little longer for a reply before reporting him to PayPal just in case of the unfortunate and unlikely event that he had a misfortunate accident or death in the family but reporting him will be the only chance to get your cash back.

Make sure you have double checked his contact information and see if there are alternate contact methods for him on his DZ.com profile or even e-mail him or PM him here.

Good luck.

~Z
Main Entry: 1hav•oc
Pronunciation: 'ha-v&k, -vik
Function: noun
1 : wide and general destruction; DEVASTATION; great confusion and disorder

Send an email to this guy. He answered the only post monoverde did, perhaps he might know him or have a phone number.

Be safe

Will do.
I forgot to mention, he did give me an adress when he wanted me to WU his money, so I called the administrator of the building (found thru white pages) and she confirmed he lived there, but wasn't allowed to give me his phone number.
And so far I gathered 3 email adresses, the one I paypal'd to, the one in his profile, and the dz.com one. I wrote to all of them every time, in case I was being filtered as spam or something.

Thanks for the tips, I'll wait a couple more days and try to contact him somehow by phone on these days, although I'm pretty sure I pissed off the Apt. administrator, as I didn't consider the time zones differences and called her at around 6AM :$

I wouldn't assume you got scammed yet, it's only been a week. Perhaps his computer broke down, maybe he's been busy skydiving, or maybe something else came up that's kept him from checking his email. It sounds like you're doing the right thing by emailing all his addresses.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Who knows what's going on. What I can tell you is that you can see that his last login to DZ.com was on the 2nd of march, meaning he just may have not been able to get to a computer to reply to your e-mails for some reason.

I'm not saying you didn't get scammed, but I'd wait a few more days before filing items not received paperwork. That being said, I'd continue trying in every way to get ahold of the guy.

Good luck getting either your $ back or your cypres in the mail soon.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

"note to self" Dont buy anything from karenmeal.

But to the thread OP. Paypal is VERY good about returning money after it has been paid. And..depending ont he amount that was paid..with using paypal...aypal takes a small percentage of the amount paid. The highr the amount..the more they take. Now 20 bucks...that would have to be a REALLY high amount. I dont know why they are adding that much more...especailly if the shipping was already established before paypal was brought up. Ive been using ebay for like 6 years now..and i had 2 dead sellers. I had my money back within 3-4 days on both of them!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

I've dealt with the post office way too many times. I'd give it another week. They dont garentee their delivery dates, so I have had stuff that was suppose to come in two days take a week and a half.

Not to mention that there tracking information is literally useless
-Sutton

Not to mention that there tracking information is literally useless

Yep. They definitely need to take some lessons from Fed Ex and UPS on their tracking system. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Thanks a lot for all the replies, I got a lot of help from all of you in very short time, it's nice to know skydivers are a nice breed! :D

There are 2 things bugging me about him not answering, actually: One is that I payed for 3-5 days shipping because my rigger has my rig opened and waiting for the cypres, and I think it might be bothering her to some extent, the other one, is that i NEED the tracking number, as 99% of the time, the packages stay at the [italian] customs and one must call to clear it. So if he did send the package, it might go back to him since I never claimed it (I know it sucks, but it's like this)
Appart from these 2 things, I could give him another week or two, but at this point it's a must that I contact him.

Again thanks a lot guys and gals, and blue skies!

-Patrik

Thanks a lot for all the replies, I got a lot of help from all of you in very short time, it's nice to know skydivers are a nice breed! bunch of escaped mental patients :D

fixed it for ya;):D
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

NO! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!!! I've heard of this scam before... He gets the money, and instead of an answer to your question, he sends old fortune cookie fortunes and those cheesy yet humorous confuscious jokes like, "He who fart in church, sit in own pew.":D

& he who walk around with hands in pockets...feels cocky all day! Way to go partner now you don't get your 35% cut!
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

I'll give you a cut... whenever we get into the same airplane... I'll be eatin' mexican food the night before!:D

Dat's allright, I'll be at the Chili & Beer Feast the Night before! BOMBS AWAY!:S
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

That's it. It was a scam, or the seller "monoverde" just suddenly disappeared.
It's been over 3 months now, and over a month since I disputed a claim with paypal, and been waiting for my money ever since. They say I have to wait for their veredict before trying a credit card chargeback, but in all honestly, I just want my money back ASAP.

If anyone knows this Reece Baldwin (D 28301) personally, please punch him really hard for me , I'll pay you.

>:(

Alright, someone tipped me (thanks!) that he's got another alias and using the forums: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?username=limegreenreece;

I found him in a couple of other websites, and on one of his info sheets, the email matches the one from monoverde, so it's definitely the same person.
What can I do from Italy?? If I was in the US at least I could call the police or something...

If anybody cares / for the sake of making him public:

Name: Reece Baldwin
Phone: 602-653-9658
Address: 2020 w orangewood ave #205

Michigan info:
Phone: 3135624583