Conundrum

Statute of Limitations for medical bills?

edit to add: Along the same lines, I am getting letters from a law firm claiming I have $200 in unpaid parking fines from early this year. Interesting enough that I haven't had a car for nearly a year.

Hope it's not "Boyajian Law Offices." They tried harassing me into paying some fictitious bill about 3 years ago.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/145/ripoff0145698.htm
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

i'm likewise confused about medical billing

was hospitalized in January 2008, received and paid doctor and other bills but have not received a hospital bill

had surgery in same hospital in February - all bills received and paid

i've got the funds if they ever send a bill, just don't think it is my responsibility to call them and ask for one

so continuing this story.....
- I finally received a bill in January 2009, one year after the expenses were incurred, from a collection agency
- the bill was the full amount $12,000+, and did not show the insurance payment or adjustment, I have the paperwork from the insurance company
- I call and get a surprisingly nice person on the phone, tell her I never received a bill, and that the collection notice has the incorrect amount
- she says, "it happens all the time, the accounting dept at the hospital is a bunch of idiots", she says just wait until I receive a corrected bill
- 3 weeks later I get the corrected bill and call the collection agency
- she offers to reduce the bill 20% if I pay now, I pay it, how nice is that
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I figured that I received a service. I should pay. Likewise, I hope that my patients are as honorable. Hopefully my office billing will never be as messed up. But... part of the problem here is people not taking responsibility for their debts and trying to get out of bills... which is why we have billing departements and collection services.

To me, that's the bottom line. If I know I have a bill, and haven't been sent the notice, I do my best to hunt it down and get it paid.

On the other hand, if I didn't realize I had a bill coming (and quite honestly, sometimes with medical billing, it's difficult to figure out what services might still be hanging out there) it could be a nasty shock. I would, however, still feel obliged to pay it.
We should not let our fears hold us back from pursuing our hopes.
-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

Glad you were able to get some resolution, along with a discount. It's amazing it took them a year to get the bill to you....If I ran a business that way, it would be mighty hard to stay in business. Do you suppose that's a contributor to those "skyrocketing health care costs" we hear about (and experience)?
We should not let our fears hold us back from pursuing our hopes.
-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

If I ran a business that way, it would be mighty hard to stay in business. Do you suppose that's a contributor to those "skyrocketing health care costs" we hear about (and experience)?

- its got to be part of the problem
- I work across the street from this hospital, have been there too many times, they have all my contact info, must just be simple incompetence in the billing dept
- interesting that the collection agency said that it happens all the time
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

See, I knew I could have just sent you a PM. :)

But then others wouldn't know it.
p.s. - my statement applies only in California.

Right. Any debt owed by a patient for medical services is a form of contract; thus, the deadline for collecting on the debt is that state's statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit based upon a contract. The provision you cite, Jerry, is (correct me if I'm wrong) California's statute of limitations for filing a "contract" lawsuit". I don't know what state Conundrum lives in. If it's in a state with a different "contract" statute of limitations, the deadline would adjust accordingly.