moodyskydiver

there better be animals in heaven

I was going to ask you the same question, but tigra beat me to it. I'm sorry you have to go through this and it sounds like you had a string of bad luck with that dog from day one. I remember you posting about dysplasia, the cat and now this! Jeebus! May I ask how he just went missing? Was he within a fenced area when he confronted the sow? Sorry if I sound insensitive but there are a few more unsettling things to this story than just Tucker's death...

Yes, I've been through alot with Tucker over the last year.He did kill one of our cats,which really sucked.But my family loved him and got very attached to him just the same.He loved playing with my sister's 6 kids and my mom's Boxer.He followed my dad around when he tended to our horses etc. and kept vigilant when it came to varmits,coyotes and other unwanted guests of the two and four-legged variety.

We did at first think he had hip dysplasia,but with the right exercise and diet it didnt slow him down any and the vet was happy with his progress.

As for this last incident,I dont know what to say.We have 80 acres way out in the country and our nearest neighbor is over a mile away.Both of our dogs had free range over our entire property,but were trained not to leave it and they knew where the boundaries were.So it was easy (and common) for them to be off in the woods somewhere or not within eyesight 24/7.But they always knew when it was "bedtime" and came up to the house at dark and didnt wander at night.So it was disconcerting when he didnt show up at the house. Our creek runs right through the middle of our property,so they had access to it.Thats where the confrontation with the sow was and thats where we found him.

I guess I wasnt a very responsible pet owner and Tucker's death is my own fault for not keeping an eye out for him better or keeping him cooped up in the yard where he couldnt get into trouble.[:/]

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the vibes, hugs, prayers, thoughts, pictures, stories and such.Its appreciated.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

So sorry for your loss. Losing a pet just sucks. I know how close you and Tucker were.
(((Hugs)))

I like this version of heaven...

"Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown..."

Well, I just found out my German Shepard, Tucker, is dead.Hes been missing for about 48hrs.My Dad found his body down in our creek.Apparently from the tracks that my dad found around him,Tucker came across an old wild hog sow and her piglets.He either startled the sow or got ahold of one of the pigs or was picking a fight to "protect" our property from the hogs or who knows what...but he got the bad end of the stick.He was tore up so bad that my dad couldnt even bring his body up to the house to be buried...just his collar.

If there is a heaven,all my animals better fucking be there or I dont want to go there.Thats is all I have to say.Thanks for letting me rant.:(

I'm so sorry to hear about Tucker. I just lost my 'best friend' of 16 yrs on Feb 19th. She was losing her battle with cancer & I just couldn't let her suffer anymore. Peanut will forever be in my heart until we meet again at Rainbow Bridge. Rest assured, Tucker will be there waiting for you as well!

I was going to ask you the same question, but tigra beat me to it. I'm sorry you have to go through this and it sounds like you had a string of bad luck with that dog from day one. I remember you posting about dysplasia, the cat and now this! Jeebus! May I ask how he just went missing? Was he within a fenced area when he confronted the sow? Sorry if I sound insensitive but there are a few more unsettling things to this story than just Tucker's death...

Yes, I've been through alot with Tucker over the last year.He did kill one of our cats,which really sucked.But my family loved him and got very attached to him just the same.He loved playing with my sister's 6 kids and my mom's Boxer.He followed my dad around when he tended to our horses etc. and kept vigilant when it came to varmits,coyotes and other unwanted guests of the two and four-legged variety.

We did at first think he had hip dysplasia,but with the right exercise and diet it didnt slow him down any and the vet was happy with his progress.

As for this last incident,I dont know what to say.We have 80 acres way out in the country and our nearest neighbor is over a mile away.Both of our dogs had free range over our entire property,but were trained not to leave it and they knew where the boundaries were.So it was easy (and common) for them to be off in the woods somewhere or not within eyesight 24/7.But they always knew when it was "bedtime" and came up to the house at dark and didnt wander at night.So it was disconcerting when he didnt show up at the house. Our creek runs right through the middle of our property,so they had access to it.Thats where the confrontation with the sow was and thats where we found him.

I guess I wasnt a very responsible pet owner and Tucker's death is my own fault for not keeping an eye out for him better or keeping him cooped up in the yard where he couldnt get into trouble.[:/]

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the vibes, hugs, prayers, thoughts, pictures, stories and such.Its appreciated.

I don't know if that was sarcasm, but so not true. He was a farm/outdoor pet. I'm sure he loved to be outside roaming around being a badass Shepherd. unfortunately with outdoor pets things happen. I think my cat got picked off by coyotes in AZ. That's a chance we take with outdoor animals.

Just like all of us that skydive, yeah we could stay cooped up in a room or yard take up shuffle board, and maybe live safer. But we take chances to enjoy life, just like tucker did being an outdoor dog I'm sure he has no regrets. :)

I'm not the rope totin charlie Bronson wanna be that's getting us fucking lost.

I don't know if that was sarcasm, but so not true. He was a farm/outdoor pet. I'm sure he loved to be outside roaming around being a badass Shepherd. unfortunately with outdoor pets things happen. I think my cat got picked off by coyotes in AZ. That's a chance we take with outdoor animals.

Just like all of us that skydive, yeah we could stay cooped up in a room or yard take up shuffle board, and maybe live safer. But we take chances to enjoy life, just like tucker did being an outdoor dog I'm sure he has no regrets.

I didnt mean to sound sarcastic.Thank you for your thoughts.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Just like all of us that skydive, yeah we could stay cooped up in a room or yard take up shuffle board, and maybe live safer. But we take chances to enjoy life, just like tucker did being an outdoor dog I'm sure he has no regrets. :)

This thread is no place to start an discussion of this sort, but Badass Sheperds usually get trapped, shot or otherwise killed, just like Tucker did. They are too smart and if they are not given something constructive to do they will find something destructive to do, including killing livestock.
Implying that a fenced yard or house is no place for an unsupervised dog is lame just like implying that people who don't skydive can't possibly lead full lives.

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

This thread is no place to start an discussion of this sort, but Badass Sheperds usually get trapped, shot or otherwise killed, just like Tucker did. They are too smart and if they are not given something constructive to do they will find something destructive to do, including killing livestock.
Implying that a fenced yard or house is no place for an unsupervised dog is lame just like implying that people who don't skydive can't possibly lead full lives.

ok then don't start it. :S
edited to add: you took my statement way out of context but I explained it in the PM. Yes skydivers are the only people who enjoy life. [:/]:P

I'm not the rope totin charlie Bronson wanna be that's getting us fucking lost.

This thread is no place to start an discussion of this sort, but ...

Exactly. This thread is probably not the place for what Amber should or shouldn't have done with Tucker. She is grieving over the loss of her companion. Let's try to show a little sensitivity and save those kinds of discussions for other threads. :)