katzurki

tert canopy jump method question

Is it possible, and if so, how, to make routine tert-canopy jumps in a safe manner without having to employ somebody's help to hold your tert-canopy d-bag at exit point? (Maybe a WAD-style deployment with you holding the d-bag?) Or do you always have to rely on someone to "static-line" you off the plane?

"Safe" is, of course, relative.

Some people hold their own tert-canopy in front of them in a bag of some sort and exit the plane back-to-the-wind and toss it away. Of course, I usually hear of them doing this for cutaway jumps, so I don't know how "safe" you would call that. :)
I've read in the forums of some people constructing very nice belly containers that sit in their lap; presumable they have all the "flap, pin, pilot chute, and pouch" trimmings.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Some people hold their own tert-canopy in front of them in a bag of some sort and exit the plane back-to-the-wind and toss it away. Of course, I usually hear of them doing this for cutaway jumps, so I don't know how "safe" you would call that. :)

That's exactly what I do.. Step out back to the wind, toss the pc and launch the bag right after it. Worked well 50 or so times anyway ;-)

W

That's exactly what I do.. Step out back to the wind, toss the pc and launch the bag right after it. Worked well 50 or so times anyway ;-)

W

Jolly! I am sure it has been documented at least once out of these 50 times, right? riiiiight? :)

The only video I have easily accessible online is the following - I usually did them out of a 182 instead of a 206 and much more stable :-)

http://crwdog.servebeer.com/crwpics/Deploy.mov

The canopy I deployed here was my Lightning. That's what I usually used. Sometimes I'd use a Triathalon or an old ragged-out canopy of various sorts as well...

W