jtnesbitt

Corrective Vision Surgery

I am scheduled to have Lasek/ASA in July but i was wondering if anyone had a source of info i am looking for. The guy i am going for is supposed to be one of the best in Cincinnati and was one of the first to do it there. The only information I seem to be finding on my own though is qualitiative data. I am having a hard time finding quantitative info though like how many he has and and his success vs complication rate. I am sure if i call his practice they will give me some numbers but i would perfer unbiased numbers. Anyone know where i might get these numbers?

Thanks

J
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

I had RK done 20 years ago back when they used the sharp part of a broken ashtray instead of a laser.

I had similar problems finding data I trusted...I don't know about now, but the best I could do then was talk to some prior 'victims' and trust in the Dr.

Many of his successes were Navy carrier pilots...I figured good enough for me! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I had RK done 20 years ago back when they used the sharp part of a broken ashtray instead of a laser.

I had similar problems finding data I trusted...I don't know about now, but the best I could do then was talk to some prior 'victims' and trust in the Dr.

Many of his successes were Navy carrier pilots...I figured good enough for me! ;)

Jim you are mistating the truth in an attempt to appear younger.

The ashtray had not been invented yet.:P

Call your regular optometrist and ask who they refer to. It drives me nuts when my patients self refer to butcher ass laser surgeons without telling me about it then show back up in my chair wondering why they can't see worth crap. Believe me, as ODs we see the very best and very worst of every surgeon in the area and can recommend someone good for you.

As a skydiver, I'd also reconsider LASIK and opt for PRK instead. It would be less expensive and long term much safer from a skydiving stance. There's not enough money in the world to make me consider LASIK as a jumper, but I've given some serious consideration to PRK. Do a search with my name and LASIK and you'll find a lot of information on here.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

My mom had PRK done in Iran I think!
Am not sure, it may have ben LASIK but I doubt it.
Never the less she has better than 20/20 vision now.
I'm very jeleous!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Call your regular optometrist and ask who they refer to. It drives me nuts when my patients self refer to butcher ass laser surgeons without telling me about it then show back up in my chair wondering why they can't see worth crap. Believe me, as ODs we see the very best and very worst of every surgeon in the area and can recommend someone good for you.

As a skydiver, I'd also reconsider LASIK and opt for PRK instead. It would be less expensive and long term much safer from a skydiving stance. There's not enough money in the world to make me consider LASIK as a jumper, but I've given some serious consideration to PRK. Do a search with my name and LASIK and you'll find a lot of information on here.

My regular optometrist gave me the original referral to this doctor and since then i have recevied numerous others in my reserach for him as well. I'm not having LASIK, he doesnt do that anymore, I'm having Custom Surface Abletion. (sp?) From speaking with him as well as other doctors and jumpers this is the way to go. Apperently this guy has been doing Laser refractive surgery since 1999 and has over 10,000 under his belt. For the past 3 years he has stopped doing LASIK and will only do CSA and PRK. From all the research I have done he seems to be the guy I want i just really wish i could get a success vs complication rate from someone other than the dr himself. That is 1 of the 2 things i am nervous about. The other is the size of my pupil. Apperently the laser is only good up to .7 (no idea what measurement that is) and my pupil is exactly .7. Since I base jump as well night vision and opening shock is extremely important when considering this, thats why we thought CSA would be the best.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Good call on not doing LASIK, and it sounds like you've done your research and are in good hands. Finding quantitative data is virtually impossible on any individual doc.

CSA is just a custom PRK, same basic concept for the procedure with the end result of better optics. No flap means a safer procedure long term.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda