heidihagen

piecing together a rig - renting seperate gear ??? (canopies)

can you rent canopies for an extended amount of time? i'm fully aware of the demo programs -- i think that rocks... but i will need to buy used canopies.

until then, here's what i want to do- i have a 50% off a wings container i'd like to use. so i thought i'd buy that(so i hve something that fits nice), find a cypres with a few years left (so it's nice and cheap with new batts)...
THEN rent my canopies until a good deal comes along.
I'm renting gear right now through my dropzone, but at 25/jump.. it adds up, plus i am will be around for a while and rather have something that's mine.

right now i usually fly a sabre2-- i fly/land that okay. Then, last weekend i tried a sabre-- i liked it because it was in a smaller harness... but crashed 3 out of 4 times. even my practice flares up high were awful.
renting a sabre2 would be ideal... because i know how to land them.

eventually i will want to demo canopies- my first stand up was on a spectre, so ofcourse i like them (or was that luck???:D) and also want to try a triathalon... and other similar, easy to fly/land canopies. but that's down the road.

SO renting canopies---is there a place that does this?
i have 32 jumps, steps away from my license. i also took scott millers essential skills course last w/e. on a 170, i'm loaded at .8..... i think that' all for now. any advice is appreiated:)
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

I've heard that square one will let you use one of their rental rigs after you've ordered new gear/while you're waiting for it to arrive for free. But that only applies to those at their location. However, perhaps if you order through a local gear dealer that has close ties to your DZO (or maybe the same person?) you might be able to work out an arrangement. Maybe you won't get the same 20% or whatever off the retail price that you might usually get, but will save more by not having to rent. They have an interest in you continuing to jump at their location, they have your gear business, and you're not as rough on their gear as a new student. Just catch them at the right time, be polite and not demanding, and you might sweet talk them into it.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Do you mean you want to rent gear off site? That's a tough one. Most dealers and DZOs rent gear that stays at the drop zone.

You can demo a Sabre2 170 from Performance Designs for about $50 for two weekends. But that doesn't give you much time.

What are you doing for a reserve?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

THEN rent my canopies until a good deal comes along.
I'm renting gear right now through my dropzone, but at 25/jump.. it adds up, plus i am will be around for a while and rather have something that's mine.

Popular/newer used ZP canopies in popular sizes depreciate about $1/jump. You might get 600 jumps on a line set. Buy one from a private party with fresh enough lines that you won't reline it. You might buy a Spectre 150 built in the last couple of years with 300 jumps for $900, make 100 jumps, and sell it for $800.

Prices vary: shop arround. You can find a Spectre for $500 with just 200 jumps on the line set and sell it for what you paid.

Try to have the sale contingent on an inspection by your favorite rigger (your cashier's check comes back if it doesn't check out). Sometimes you get premature line shrinkage and sometimes the canopy has A LOT OF JUMPS the seller didn't know about.

There's nothing wrong with some of the older designs - I would and do jump one sometimes in a second rig (Monarch 135). I wouldn't rule one out if that's what your budget will accomodate. Newer designs just usually open softer, are usually more responsive to control input, and usually land slower.

Heidi,

I am doing almost the same thing. I am buying a new Wings the second week of August. While I am anxiously waiting the 10 weeks I will be saving money to find the rest. I will be buying a new Pilot 168 main and Smart Reserve. I plan on getting a used Cypress with about 4 yrs on it as well.

So that's my master plan. Until is all comes true I have to keep jumping poorly sized rental gear. No worries as long as I get in the air and back down safely.
HackB A.K.A. "Puppy"

hi gg:)exactly! i thought there might be a place that rents them out (since people downsize so much etc).. but i would use it while looking for my own. so instead of $30/2 weeks ... it would be something liiike 2 months/$120 or even better... cut a deal like $xxx/4 months to save on repacks... yep, reserve too. but since they don't do that nevermind. i just thought i'd ask... thanks for responding! =)
hackb--i'll probably do the same. i just hate waiting!:$
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

On a similar note:

If you buy a used canopy with a couple hundred jumps on it, then put 100 jumps on it, you can generally sell it for $1 less per jump. Sometime, even the same if you keep it in realy good shape.

So that is what most folks do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!